What started off as a seaport in Harrison County, later materialized under the spotlight for being one of the top-rated beach destinations on the Gulf Coast. Being the second-largest city of Mississippi, the miles of white sandy beaches stretched out on the waterfront have attracted a good number of visitors to admire the breathtaking views of the city. Gulfport is known to be a fairly developed city with numerous amenities on its sleeve. The weather is perfectly comfortable and overall, it is a perfect place for a vacation all year round.
Why should people visit in the winter?
Being the second-largest city in Mississippi, winter in Gulfport is always special. Not only will you be able to avoid large crowds, but with the decline in rates, there is no better time to benefit from the best deals available. The city is wide awake and full of opportunities waiting to be explored. With the light, comfortable weather, multiple amenities, and a peaceful atmosphere, you should look forward to creating unforgettable memories during your stay in the city.
Gulfport is located near the sea and experiences hot, humid summers and mild winters. The average temperature hovers between 44°F - 90°F (7°C - 32°C) throughout the year with January being the coldest month. Winter is mostly unpredictable, so it is advised to keep warm clothing, in case you need to layer up when the temperature touches extreme lows.
For more climate information visit Meteoblue
Things to see in Gulfport, Mississippi
Gulfport has many interesting sites for you to see and explore. Some of the most famous attractions in the city include:
- Fort Massachusetts on Ship Island: An important military reserve dating back to the war of 1812. The fort served as a significant protector of the Gulf Coast and New Orleans. Today, it is an important tourist attraction as many people come here to learn about its historic relevance.
- Institute for Marine Mammal Studies: A great place to learn about the conservation and research on Marine Mammals. The institute caters to sick or injured marine animals and provides a great learning experience for the visitors. You can check out more information on their website. (https://imms.org/)
- North Star Sailing Charters: Sail across the ocean with North Star as they provide the perfect opportunity for you to enjoy a safe and comfortable boat tour at your desired rates. You can even take Sailing lessons; it would be a great learning experience.
- Gulfport Beach: A convenient destination with soft, white sand and a peaceful atmosphere. The beach stretches out for miles and the views are simply spectacular. As it is located in close proximity to the big cities, it is a popular spot for tourists and is favored by the locals as well.
- Chandeleur Brewing Company: Take a tour to the Chandeleur Brewing Company to learn about the beer and get some firsthand knowledge from the brewers. Hear about the brewing process and get a chance to taste draft beer from their taprooms.
Things to see not far from the Gulfport, Mississippi
There are many places and towns in the surrounding areas that one can visit. Some of these include:
- Walter Anderson Museum of Art: is located in Ocean Springs at a distance of 17 Miles (27 km) from Gulfport. The museum focuses on the preservation of the inspiring story of the art and culture of Walter Inglis Anderson who was an exceptional artist in his days.
- Friendship Oak: is located in Long Beach at a distance of 3 Miles (5 km) from Gulfport. This 500-year-old tree is allegedly the oldest tree in the state and is a stunning landmark of the area.
- Hattiesburg: is located at a distance of 69 Miles (111 km) from Gulfport. You can visit the beautiful historic town and explore the different aspects of the African American heritage which are well preserved in several military museums located in the city.
- Biloxi: is located at a distance of 13.1 Miles (21 km) from Gulfport. The city is a popular snowbird location and is better known for its beaches and casinos. A popular landmark of the area includes the Biloxi Lighthouse which is seated next to Biloxi Beach. It is a great place to visit for a day trip.
Activities in Gulfport, Mississippi in the winter
You can spend a wonderful time in Gulfport as the place offers a number of activities for you to enjoy. Some of which include;
- Beaches: The city of Gulfport boasts large white sandy beaches and guarantees the most beautiful scenic views. Spend your day at the popular Gulfport Beach for a peaceful getaway.
- Cruises: There are multiple tours and private sailing companies available to take you on sea cruises to enjoy the spectacular views of the ocean and marine life.
- Visit The Parks: As winter here is quite comfortable, the warm winter sun is a treat for snowbirds. You can always hang around in the beautiful parks of the city.
- Museums: The city has many museums that cater to different topics and also provide interesting historic insight into the US Navy. You can also visit the Mississippi Coast Model Railroad Museum which highlights the 200-year-old railroad history.
- Gulfport Harbor Lights Winter Festival: This normally starts in the last week of November. This festival gives an entirely new holiday vibe with beautifully lit up streets, jingle bells, and a lot more. Plan your holiday around this wonderful winter festival for an experience like no other.
- Daytrips: Plan a nice, casual day trip to the nearby cities to explore the area.
- Golf: There are three major golf courses available in the city itself. If you're a lover of golf, you must also explore the more popular ones on the outskirts of the city for the best experience.
- Sunsets/Sunrises: Wherever you may be, the sunsets and sunrises never hold back to impress you.
Shopping + Restaurants. Are they open in the winter?
Being the second-largest city in the state, Gulfport is well equipped to cater to the needs of the people living in the area with shops and restaurants that are open for the most part of winter. Whether you're looking for a farmers market or an outlet mall, you can fulfill all your shopping desires. One of the reasons why people love visiting a city like Gulfport is its thorough development towards the ease of access to everything throughout the year. You can visit the places mentioned below for great shopping experiences:
- Gulfport Premium Outlets
- Crossroads Mall
- Gulfport Harbor Farmers Market
In Gulfport, you will find an array of restaurants waiting to be explored. It is not just a large variety of local restaurants, but the food courts in the malls have many international food chains with endless options available. It is highly advised to try their local fish which is quite popular among the locals.
The city has its own airport, the Gulfport Biloxi International Airport. It is located at a distance of 5 Miles (8 km) from the main city. It is approximately a 10-minute long drive and is easily accessible. You can reach your destination by renting an Uber or taking a taxi.
There are 3 Amtrak train stations located on the outskirts of the city but they are not considered a common means of transport.
The Coast Transit Authority is a public bus service that allows people to move about the city and visit the surrounding areas of the Gulf Coast. This is the most preferred form of transport as the buses are well-maintained, safe, comfortable and easily available. The rates are quite cheap and you can easily find their bus schedules on their website. For more information, visit https://coasttransit.com/.
Renting a car is also considered as a great option for visitors who would like to explore the regions which are not accessible by public transport. There are multiple services available to help you easily rent a car for an entire day.
If you want to use public transport, an easy way to find the best route is to use Google Maps. Find the directions from your starting point to the destination, and click on transit. It will then show you the public transport options.
The medical community in the city is quite active and well-organized. The medical staff is well-trained and you will find professional doctors at your service. Emergency care units are present at all times and the hospitals are well equipped to cater to anyone who walks in needing attention. The best medical centers in the area are:
- Gulfport Memorial (www.gulfportmemorial.com/)
- Select Specialty Hospital (https://gulfport.selectspecialtyhospitals.com/)
- Gulf Coast Dental Care (www.gcdentalcare.com/)
If you are a visitor in Gulfport, you can easily find a decent place to lodge in town during winter for $800 (approx. €687, £628, $1069 CAD, $1137 AUD) /month. Some of the most commonly used organizations for finding a nice second home are mentioned below:
- Gulf Coast Resort Rentals (www.gulfcoastresortrentals.com/)
- Trulia (www.trulia.com/)
- Airbnb (www.airbnb.com)
- Apartment Guide (www.apartmentguide.com/)
RV Camping is quite popular for the visitors in Gulfport. Therefore, you will find numerous options in the area. These RV parks are well maintained as they are used by frequent visitors; these parking spots are also well maintained and offer you great deals to enjoy your space. You can easily find a nice parking spot for your motor home at affordable rates. The most famous RV Campgrounds in the area includes:
Baywood Campground: If you're a visitor in the Gulfport, this campground is a great place for you as it is located close to the city and has super friendly and welcoming staff. The overall setting is quite comfortable, with the beach being barely 10 minutes away. There are multiple amenities available for you to enjoy and the rates are quite affordable as well. It is perfect for a nice weekend getaway in the city.
- Cajun RV Park (www.cajunrvpark.com/rates.html)
- Rock Hill Campsite
- Campgrounds of the South