What started off as a seaport in Harrison County, later materialized under the spotlight for being one of the top-rated beach destinations on the Gulf Coast. Being the second-largest city of Mississippi, the miles of white sandy beaches stretched out on the waterfront have attracted a good number of visitors to admire the breathtaking views of the city. Gulfport is known to be a fairly developed city with numerous amenities on its sleeve. The weather is perfectly comfortable and overall, it is a perfect place for a vacation all year round.
- 1 Why should people visit in the winter?
- 2 Climate
- 3 Things to see in Gulfport, Mississippi
- 4 Things to see not far from the Gulfport, Mississippi
- 5 Activities in Gulfport, Mississippi in the winter
- 6 Shopping + Restaurants. Are they open in the fall, winter, or spring?
- 7 Transport
- 8 Health
- 9 Accommodation
- 10 RV/Campers/Motorhome
- 11 Packing List
Why should people visit in the winter?
Being the second-largest city in Mississippi, winter in Gulfport is always special. Not only will you be able to avoid large crowds, but with the decline in rates, there is no better time to benefit from the best deals available. The city is wide awake and full of opportunities waiting to be explored. With the light, comfortable weather, multiple amenities, and a peaceful atmosphere, you should look forward to creating unforgettable memories during your stay in the city.
Gulfport is located near the sea and experiences hot, humid summers and mild winters. The average temperature hovers between 44°F - 90°F (7°C - 32°C) throughout the year with January being the coldest month. Winter is mostly unpredictable, so it is advised to keep warm clothing, in case you need to layer up when the temperature touches extreme lows.
For more climate information visit Meteoblue
Things to see in Gulfport, Mississippi
Gulfport has many interesting sites for you to see and explore. Some of the most famous attractions in the city include:
- Fort Massachusetts on Ship Island: An important military reserve dating back to the war of 1812. The fort served as a significant protector of the Gulf Coast and New Orleans. Today, it is an important tourist attraction as many people come here to learn about its historic relevance.
- Institute for Marine Mammal Studies: A great place to learn about the conservation and research on Marine Mammals. The institute caters to sick or injured marine animals and provides a great learning experience for the visitors. You can check out more information on their website. (https://imms.org/)
- North Star Sailing Charters: Sail across the ocean with North Star as they provide the perfect opportunity for you to enjoy a safe and comfortable boat tour at your desired rates. You can even take Sailing lessons; it would be a great learning experience.
- Gulfport Beach: A convenient destination with soft, white sand and a peaceful atmosphere. The beach stretches out for miles and the views are simply spectacular. As it is located in close proximity to the big cities, it is a popular spot for tourists and is favored by the locals as well.
- Chandeleur Brewing Company: Take a tour to the Chandeleur Brewing Company to learn about the beer and get some firsthand knowledge from the brewers. Hear about the brewing process and get a chance to taste draft beer from their taprooms.
Things to see not far from the Gulfport, Mississippi
There are many places and towns in the surrounding areas that one can visit. Some of these include:
- Walter Anderson Museum of Art: is located in Ocean Springs at a distance of 17 Miles (27 km) from Gulfport. The museum focuses on the preservation of the inspiring story of the art and culture of Walter Inglis Anderson who was an exceptional artist in his days.
- Friendship Oak: is located in Long Beach at a distance of 3 Miles (5 km) from Gulfport. This 500-year-old tree is allegedly the oldest tree in the state and is a stunning landmark of the area.
- Hattiesburg: is located at a distance of 69 Miles (111 km) from Gulfport. You can visit the beautiful historic town and explore the different aspects of the African American heritage which are well preserved in several military museums located in the city.
- Biloxi: is located at a distance of 13.1 Miles (21 km) from Gulfport. The city is a popular snowbird location and is better known for its beaches and casinos. A popular landmark of the area includes the Biloxi Lighthouse which is seated next to Biloxi Beach. It is a great place to visit for a day trip.
Activities in Gulfport, Mississippi in the winter
You can spend a wonderful time in Gulfport as the place offers a number of activities for you to enjoy. Some of which include;
- Beaches: The city of Gulfport boasts large white sandy beaches and guarantees the most beautiful scenic views. Spend your day at the popular Gulfport Beach for a peaceful getaway.
- Cruises: There are multiple tours and private sailing companies available to take you on sea cruises to enjoy the spectacular views of the ocean and marine life.
- Visit The Parks: As winter here is quite comfortable, the warm winter sun is a treat for snowbirds. You can always hang around in the beautiful parks of the city.
- Museums: The city has many museums that cater to different topics and also provide interesting historic insight into the US Navy. You can also visit the Mississippi Coast Model Railroad Museum which highlights the 200-year-old railroad history.
- Gulfport Harbor Lights Winter Festival: This normally starts in the last week of November. This festival gives an entirely new holiday vibe with beautifully lit up streets, jingle bells, and a lot more. Plan your holiday around this wonderful winter festival for an experience like no other.
- Daytrips: Plan a nice, casual day trip to the nearby cities to explore the area.
- Golf: There are three major golf courses available in the city itself. If you're a lover of golf, you must also explore the more popular ones on the outskirts of the city for the best experience.
- Sunsets/Sunrises: Wherever you may be, the sunsets and sunrises never hold back to impress you.
Shopping + Restaurants. Are they open in the fall, winter, or spring?
Being the second-largest city in the state, Gulfport is well equipped to cater to the needs of the people living in the area with shops and restaurants that are open for the most part of winter. Whether you're looking for a farmers market or an outlet mall, you can fulfill all your shopping desires. One of the reasons why people love visiting a city like Gulfport is its thorough development towards the ease of access to everything throughout the year. You can visit the places mentioned below for great shopping experiences:
- Gulfport Premium Outlets
- Crossroads Mall
- Gulfport Harbor Farmers Market
In Gulfport, you will find an array of restaurants waiting to be explored. It is not just a large variety of local restaurants, but the food courts in the malls have many international food chains with endless options available. It is highly advised to try their local fish which is quite popular among the locals.
The city has its own airport, the Gulfport Biloxi International Airport. It is located at a distance of 5 Miles (8 km) from the main city. It is approximately a 10-minute long drive and is easily accessible. You can reach your destination by renting an Uber or taking a taxi.
There are 3 Amtrak train stations located on the outskirts of the city but they are not considered a common means of transport.
The Coast Transit Authority is a public bus service that allows people to move about the city and visit the surrounding areas of the Gulf Coast. This is the most preferred form of transport as the buses are well-maintained, safe, comfortable and easily available. The rates are quite cheap and you can easily find their bus schedules on their website. For more information, visit https://coasttransit.com/.
Renting a car is also considered a great option for visitors who would like to explore the regions which are not accessible by public transport. There are multiple services available to help you easily rent a car for an entire day.
If you want to use public transport, an easy way to find the best route is to use Google Maps. Find the directions from your starting point to the destination, and click on transit. It will then show you the public transport options.
The medical community in the city is quite active and well-organized. The medical staff is well-trained and you will find professional doctors at your service. Emergency care units are present at all times and the hospitals are well equipped to cater to anyone who walks in needing attention. The best medical centers in the area are:
- Gulfport Memorial (www.gulfportmemorial.com/)
- Select Specialty Hospital (https://gulfport.selectspecialtyhospitals.com/)
- Gulf Coast Dental Care (www.gcdentalcare.com/)
If you are a visitor in Gulfport, you can easily find a decent place to lodge in town during winter for $800 (approx. €744, £636, $1079 CAD, $1229 AUD) /month. Some of the most commonly used organizations for finding a nice second home are mentioned below:
- Gulf Coast Resort Rentals (www.gulfcoastresortrentals.com/)
- Trulia (www.trulia.com/)
- Airbnb (www.airbnb.com)
- Apartment Guide (www.apartmentguide.com/)
RV Camping is quite popular for visitors in Gulfport. Therefore, you will find numerous options in the area. These RV parks are well maintained as they are used by frequent visitors; these parking spots are also well maintained and offer you great deals to enjoy your space. You can easily find a nice parking spot for your motor home at affordable rates. The most famous RV Campgrounds in the area includes:
Baywood Campground: If you're a visitor in the Gulfport, this campground is a great place for you as it is located close to the city and has super friendly and welcoming staff. The overall setting is quite comfortable, with the beach being barely 10 minutes away. There are multiple amenities available for you to enjoy and the rates are quite affordable as well. It is perfect for a nice weekend getaway in the city.
- Cajun RV Park (www.cajunrvpark.com/rates.html)
- Rock Hill Campsite
- Campgrounds of the South
- Weather: The fall, winter, and spring weather in Gulfport (Mississippi) will normally be warm during the day and can be cold during the night. Of course in the fall and spring it will be warmer than in the winter. You have to pack accordingly.
Warm clothing: Even when you go to a warm location like Gulfport (Mississippi) you should not forget to take some things with you for your trip back home. When you return you are adapted to the warmer weather and need something to protect you from your hometown temperatures.
Consider the Weather: Always look at the type of weather in Gulfport (Mississippi). Things like humidity, wind, and rain do not show up in the temperature graph but can have a great impact on your wardrobe. There are several sites with long term forecasts and climate information. Is there often a short afternoon downpour like in the tropics, you maybe need to take a strong umbrella and shoos that can cope with the rain. If there is often a lot of wind you might need a more wind-resistant coat.
Check the local Shopping options: Try to find information about the local shopping options near your location in Gulfport (Mississippi). Are there stores where you can buy all your daily supplies, or are some things difficult to get? For some more remote locations, the options can be limited. If a certain item is really important for you might need to take it with you.
Look at the Local Culture: The local culture in Gulfport (Mississippi) can impact your wardrobe. If most activities are in more upscale locations you might take some more appropriate clothes with you. Or travelling if you travel to certain countries women need to cover themselves in certain areas.
Amenities: Know what’s Included in your house or apartment. Is there a coffee maker, a toaster, a washer and dryer, an iron, what is in the kitchen, what kind of towels are there? Things that are there means you do not have to take them with you. A furnished apartment or house can mean something from a few pieces of furniture to a well-stocked place with all the things you have at home. But most of the time your rental will not be stocked.
Mix and match: Wear layers so you can use your wardrobe more efficiently. And do not worry about wearing something more often, probably only you will notice this.
Important for you: If there is something that is really important for you that you want to have present in your house or apartment, take it with you. This can be something like a special knife for the kitchen, or a small mirror that you use in the morning. You can also purchase it locally if it is not that expensive.
Pet supplies: If you take your pet with you don’t forget to take supplies for a few days with you. And enough medication, vitamins, or other supplies if you can not purchase them in Gulfport (Mississippi) locally.
Food: Don’t take a lot of food with you. Only when there is something you really can not live without you, and it is not too heavy you could consider taking it with you.
Towels: Not all locations include bigger towels for the swimming pool or a visit to the beach. If you have to take them and don’t have a lot of room you can buy some big thin towels.
Office supplies: Normally you will not find any office supplies in your house or apartment. If you think you will use them you could pack some supplies like a scissor, notepaper, envelopes, some pens, and more depending on your needs.
Limit yourself: Don’t take too many shoes and jackets, you will not need them that often.
Best-fitting: Bring your favorite and best-fitting items that can multi-function
Washer: Do you have a washer and dryer onsite, you don’t need to pack a lot of clothes
Other locations close to this location:
If you see this after your page is loaded completely, leafletJS files are missing.
If you have any additions, or comments on the content on this page, please use our contact form to let us know.
Detailed weather during the year for Gulfport Mississippi
- Weather in Gulfport Mississippi for January
- Weather in Gulfport Mississippi for February
- Weather in Gulfport Mississippi for March
- Weather in Gulfport Mississippi for April
- Weather in Gulfport Mississippi for May
- Weather in Gulfport Mississippi for June
- Weather in Gulfport Mississippi for July
- Weather in Gulfport Mississippi for August
- Weather in Gulfport Mississippi for September
- Weather in Gulfport Mississippi for October
- Weather in Gulfport Mississippi for November
- Weather in Gulfport Mississippi for December
What to do during the year in Gulfport Mississippi
- What to do in January in Gulfport Mississippi
- What to do in February in Gulfport Mississippi
- What to do in March in Gulfport Mississippi
- What to do in April in Gulfport Mississippi
- What to do in May in Gulfport Mississippi
- What to do in June in Gulfport Mississippi
- What to do in July in Gulfport Mississippi
- What to do in August in Gulfport Mississippi
- What to do in September in Gulfport Mississippi
- What to do in October in Gulfport Mississippi
- What to do in November in Gulfport Mississippi
- What to do in December in Gulfport Mississippi