Rotonda West is an independent community located in West Englewood Charlotte County, Florida. The city sits near the Gulf of Mexico, and the layout mimics a World War II airfield. There are of 30 Miles (48 km) of ponds, lakes, and canals making their way into the city and offering various water activities to the visitors. Rotonda West is a perfect location for snowbirds as it has warm weather and has many places to enjoy.
Why should people visit during the winter?
Rotonda West sits near the Gulf of Mexico, and the layout mimics a World War II airfield. There are 30 Miles (48 km) of ponds, lakes, and canals making their way into the city and offering various water activities to the visitors. Rotonda West is a perfect location for snowbirds as it has nice and warm winter weather and many places to enjoy.
The weather of Rotonda West is comparatively colder than the rest of the cities in Florida. The city has an average temperature of around 75°F (24°C) in January, and it can get as low as 54°F (12°C). Appropriate clothing for evenings and a heating system is recommended due to cold weather at night. The winter period normally does not see hurricanes (the hurricane season is from June to November).
For more climate information visit Meteoblue
Things to see in Rotonda West
Rotonda West is an important tourist location. There are many places that are worth visiting in the area:
- Don Pedro Island State Park: There is a thin strip of beach on the island and a mangrove swamp. You can pay a visit to the beach for sunbathing, swimming and other water activities. The Park also offers hiking, fishing, kayak launch, and picnic pavilions. The Island is only accessible by boat or ferry.
- Ann & Chuck Dever Regional Recreation Center: A recreation center that offers both indoor and outdoor activities. The center has a gymnasium and courts for indoor games as well as outdoor games. The Center also offers swimming pools, parks, disc golf, skate-park and much more. Along with this, there are fitness classes too. It is a perfect place to plan a picnic and parties, with the offered facilities.
- Lemon Bay: You can visit the Bay if you want to participate in water sports or walk to the Bay for amazing views. The Bay also has winding, hiking trails, nature gardens, and an aquatic preserve as well as an abundance of wildlife to witness.
- Little Gasparilla Island: This majestic tropical island offers a beach, kayaking, and fishing to its visitors. It is also connected to the Don Pedro Island by a thin strip of beach. There are various facilities available like restrooms, water, taxi, restaurants, and more.
- Myakka State Forest: The Forest is covered by beautiful pines and bicycle trails with beautiful views of the Myakka River. You can visit the forest for a canoe launch, hiking, and picnic as well as the other campsites in the forest. The forest is filled with wildlife where you can bless your eyes with a sight of the beautiful birds and the breathtaking views.
Things to see not far from Rotonda West
There are many neighboring towns and places in the surrounding areas that one can visit:
- Military Heritage Museum: This Museum is located 24.2 Miles (39 km) from Rotonda West. The two-story museum educates you on military history from the American Revolution to the present. It hosts exhibits on the US Military heritage and it also displays military artifacts as memorabilia dating as far back as the Spanish-American War.
- Pelican Pointe Golf and Country Club: Located 19.3 Miles (31 km) from Rotonda West, the club offers a variety of 9 and 18-hole courses with terrific views and challenges for golfers at every skill level. The club also offers resort-style amenities which include a clubhouse, a heated community pool, restaurant, a fitness center, and much more.
- Port Boca Grande Lighthouse Museum: It is the oldest structure on the islands and it is an amazing sight for the mariners. The museum contains history dating back to 12,000 B.C. The museum also has fossils, shells, and local bones. You can also visit the gift shop of the museum for the souvenirs, local artwork, and jewelry. It is located 13.2 Miles (21 km) from Rotonda West.
- Muscle Car City LLC: Located 27.9 Miles (45 km) from Rotonda West, houses over 200 muscle cars from the 1950s to 1970s. You can visit the museum to have a look at the eye-catching Camaros, Mustangs, Pontiacs, and much more. The museum also has a gift shop to get souvenirs from and a retro diner.
Activities in Rotonda West in the winter
There are more than enough activities you can participate in during your visit to Rotonda West:
- Visit the Market: Rotonda West is an attractive place popular for its outdoor lifestyle. You can enjoy the entertainment complex of the city with lots of shopping malls, golf courses, parks and visit the flea markets, and "shop till you drop".
- Cooking: Always wanted to improve your cooking? Join a cooking class and learn how to cook something special.
- Kayaking/Canoe: You can rent a kayak or canoe and visit the Myakka State Park, Little Gasparilla Islands, and other parks to enjoy nature and also witness the beautiful scenery.
- Walking tour of the city: You can visit the city with a tour guide, various parks, shopping centers, pavilions, and golf clubs.
- Spa & Fitness Clubs: There are various health clubs nearby such as Ann & Chuck Recreation Center along with spas and you can visit these clubs to have quality time or get involved in activities beneficial for health.
- Fishing: You can visit the lakes nearby for shore fishing. The city is filled with various islands where you can fish.
- Art classes: Join an art class and learn how to paint, draw, or start with pottery.
- Golf: Spend a nice day playing golf as the weather of the city allows for such a sport. There are various 9-hole and 18-hole golf courses as well as clubhouses within the city. You can also visit the popular Pelican Pointe Golf & Country Club for an amazing golfing experience.
- Walking: You can go walking in the famous Myakka State Forest and enjoy the refreshing atmosphere and the majestic views.
Shops & Restaurants. Are they Open in winters?
Rotonda West is not a large community, so do not expect big shopping malls or large shopping areas. But if you have a car it is not hard to find all your needs closeby.
You can find several of fresh produce markets in Rotonda West such as Englewood’s Farmer Market. In these markets, you can find a variety of fruits, vegetables, and other fresh products. Placida Fish Market is right on the coast and you can get fresh seafood from there. You can also visit souvenir and gift shops like Port Boca Grande Lighthouse Museum souvenir shops and similar shops.
In Rotonda West, you will not find a lot of food options available during winter, but you can find a good steak and fast food place. But the closer you get to the sea the more restaurants you will find. If you want to enjoy more diverse gastronomy, visit the towns located nearby i.e. Englewood, Venice, and Boca Grande.
The nearest airport is Punta Gorda Airport located about 26.7 Miles (43 km) from Rotonda West. There are various airport shuttle services available which you can use, rent a car, take a taxi or an uber to reach the city and vice versa.
Even though the public transportation facility isn’t the best in the city, you can find the West County Bus Service which is sometimes used to move around the community.
Most people prefer renting a car or taking a taxi cab service when they want to travel across the city or inter-city.
There is no train station near Rotonda and the nearest Amtrak Station is approximately 5 hours drive away from Rotonda. If you want to travel to Florida, you can travel by bus for about 9 hours from Rotonda to Florida and the cost is between $45 (approx. €38, £34, $59 CAD, $61 AUD) for one-way.
In Rotonda West, health facilities are located nearby and are easily accessible. The health sector is perfectly suitable for anyone who has a health problem. Emergency cases are well-handled and you can find some of the best healthcare centers mentioned below:
- Rotonda Quality Care Services: Home health care services (www.rotondaqualitycare.com/)
- Brookdale Rotonda: (www.brookdale.com)
- Charlotte County Dental Clinic: Dental care services(charlotte.floridahealth.gov/)
There are many different rental companies present in and around Rotonda West, whether you’re looking for an apartment, cottage or villa. Some of the more popular organizations are:
- Apartment Guide(www.apartmentguide.com)
- Rentals.com (www.rentals.com)
- Airbnb (www.airbnb.com)is also available in case you are looking for a customized offer.
Several of these prominent websites, along with others, connect you to local real estate agents in Rotonda West. You can rent a 1-bedroom and 1-bath starting at around $800 (approx. €676, £617, $1054 CAD, $1098 AUD).
Myakka River Motorcoach Resort: There are water, electricity, and sewer services available. It costs nearly $90 (approx. €76, £69, $118 CAD, $123 AUD) for one night. There are about 100 spaces available. For more information, you can visit(www.myakkamotorcoachresort.com)