The city of Plano is located in the north of Texas and was named after its flat plains. The weather is perfectly comfortable and the city was ranked in "The Top 10 Best Places to Retire in 2017" due to its cultural, educational, and outdoor luxuries. The quality of life offered here is commendable and favored by many snowbirds. The city has a splendid downtown life with a torrent of recreational activities for visitors to participate in.
Why should people visit during the winter?
Texas has always been an ideal choice when it comes to pleasant weather. Plano is one of those cities in Texas where the weather remains laudable for the snowbirds and natives throughout the year. With never-ending flat plains and recreational activities, you can head outside in the beautiful parks of the city on a sunny day and spend some quality time. Don't forget to enjoy the downtown life of the city and taste the famous Texas cuisine.
The climate of Plano remains partly cloudy, humid as well as windy and the nights are relatively cold. The skies are partly dominated by the clouds year-round. The city has an average high temperature of 63°C (145°F) and an average low of 37°C (99°F). Heating in your residence is recommended due to cold temperatures during the night.
For more climate information visit Meteoblue
Things to see in Plano, Texas
Plano is a popular tourist location. There are many places that you can visit in the area. Some of these include:
- Cavanaugh Flight Museum: The museum is devoted to promoting aviation studies and American aviation heritage. The museum showcases various historically significant vintage aircraft used in various endeavors. You can also get souvenirs from the store at the museum.
- Downtown Plano: Plano has been ranked in the top ten downtown lifestyles in the past due to its impressive urban living, event venues, performing arts, art galleries, attractive shops, and restaurants beautified by the historic infrastructure of Plano. You ought to visit Downtown Plano to spend leisure time.
- Addison Conference & Theatre Center: From photo and art galleries, corporate as well as social events, to the theatre, there is abundant space for every event at the Center. There are various events you can attend within the Center as well as events hosted at the Addison Circle Park. The Park is filled with water fountains and other water features along with beautiful greenery. You can attend or participate in various events hosted at the park. You can take fitness classes or charity walks in the park as well.
- Texas Sculpture Garden: It is the largest private collection of contemporary Texas sculpture. You can visit this place to witness the exceptional work that the prominent artists of Texas have put in to create mind-blowing sculptures.
- Russell Creek Park: It is a community park with a sports complex comprising of soccer and baseball fields and facilities for other athletics. The park also has a lake, a pavilion, playgrounds, hiking trails as well as restrooms. You can visit the sports complex or hiking trails along with the kids to participate in productive activities.
Things to see not far from Plano, Texas
There are many neighboring towns and places in the surrounding areas that one can visit.
- Pilot Knoll Park: The Park offers a waterfront with RV campsites, grills, kayaking, lake, picnic pavilions as well as equestrian trails. The park is located 31.1 Miles (50 km) from Plano.
- Grapevine Recreational Area: Grapevine REC offers a supreme full package to its customers. Athletics, aquatics, events, lakes, volunteer opportunities, trails, and amazing special packages as well as activities for all ages. You should visit this place to have a memorable time with your family. It is located 28.4 Miles (46 km) from Plano.
- Coyote Ridge Golf Club: The Club is located 20.2 Miles (33 km) from Plano. The Club was voted as the winner of "2019 Best Pro Shop, Hands Down" by Avid Golfer. There are various golf tournaments hosted at the Club for you to participate in. The club offers space for various events and the finest dining as well. The golf course is filled with oaks, blooming seasonal flowers, pecans as well as elms.
- Dallas Museum of Art: It is one of the largest art museums in America and is the largest art district of America in downtown Dallas. The museum is home to the artworks of more than 25,000 artists dating back 5000 years. You can also attend workshops as well as guided tours. It is located 18.3 Miles (29 km) from Plano.
Activities in Plano, Texas in the winter
There are numerous activities you can participate in during your visit to Plano. Some of them include:
- Visit Downtown Plano: Visit this place and get acquainted with the culture and heritage of Plano. You will find beautiful shops, restaurants, art galleries, centers of performing arts and much more to promise you an amazing day.
- Kayaking/Canoe: You can rent a kayak or canoe and visit the Russell Creek Park, Pilot Knoll Park, and other parks to enjoy nature as well as witness the beautiful views of the lake and its surroundings.
- Walking tour of the city: You can tour Plano on foot with a tour guide and observe the historically important infrastructure of the city as well as taste the Texas delicacies.
- Scenic Drives: Drive around the city and enjoy the majestic views of the superb natural flat plains of Plano.
- Visit Grapevine REC: Visit Grapevine REC for an extraordinarily vast package of opportunities to fill a productive day.
- Hiking: Visit Russell Creek Park, Grapevine REC, Pilot Knoll Park, and similar attractions for hiking.
- Volunteer Opportunities: Grapevine REC has so much to offer, you can enroll in volunteer opportunities to give back to the community and attend Charity Walks in Addison Circle Park.
- Spa & Fitness Clubs: There are various health clubs nearby equipped with spas, you can visit these clubs to enjoy quality time as well as get involved in activities beneficial for health like yoga. You can attend daily fitness classes at Addison Circle Park.
- Fishing: You can visit Russell Creek Park, Pilot Knoll Park, and similar charters for fishing.
- Golf: Spend a nice day golfing at the Coyote Ridge Golf Club and nearby golf clubs in town.
- Sports Activities: Visit the sports complex of Russell Creek Park or other playgrounds along with the kids to have a productive day by getting involved in various sporty activities.
- Visit Addison Conference & Theatre Park: Visit the Center to attend various events hosted at the Center as well as events hosted in Addison Circle Park.
Shops & Restaurants. Are they Open in winters?
You can find a good number of fresh produce markets in Plano such as Sprouts Farmers Market. The market remains open daily from 7 AM to 10 PM. You can find a great variety of freshly picked fruits, vegetables, and other products like fresh meat and seafood from the market.
Texas cuisine is pretty much enjoyed and regarded in the city. There are lots of restaurants that operate throughout the year and offer amazing Texas cuisine at affordable prices. If you really want an authentic experience, make sure you try their Smokey Barbeque and Chili which are the top choices in the area.
The transportation system of Plano is well developed and there are two public bus transit centers for traveling within the city. The bus centers are located in the East and West of the city. Traveling by bus is the most feasible option if you wish to travel inside the city. You can also use the bus service to reach the light rail stations.
There is a Dallas Area Rapid Transit (DART) light rail system used in the city with two light rail stations connected to Plano. If you wish to travel to other suburban cities, you can opt for this light rail service. Also, for speedy and quality inter-city travels, Trinity Railway Express (TRE) would be a good choice.
The nearest international airport to Plano is Dallas Fort Worth International Airport 26.3 Miles (42 km) from the main city of Plano. There are various airport shuttle services available for use and you can also take a taxi or a bus to reach the airport or get to your residence from the airport.
In Plano, public and private health facilities are located in town and are easily accessible. The health sector is perfectly suitable for anyone who walks in needing attention. 24/7 emergency is available in hospitals. Emergency cases are handled well and you can find some of the most significant healthcare centers mentioned below:
- Health Administration Services: Public health care services (www.plano.gov)
- Collin County Healthcare Services: Public health care services (www.collincountytx.gov)
- Dental Care of Plano: Dental care services (www.dentalcareofplano.com)
There are some different rental companies present in Plano, whether you're looking for an apartment, cottage, or villa. Some of the most popular organizations that are commonly used include:
- Apartment Guide (www.apartmentguide.com)
- Apartments.com (www.apartments.com)
- Zillow (www.zillow.com)
- Airbnb (www.airbnb.com) is also available in case you are looking for a more customized offer.
These prominent websites along with other websites connect you to the local real estate agents in Plano. You can rent 1-bedroom and 1-bath starting with a price of $725 (approx. €617, £566, $965 CAD, $1005 AUD).
Country View RV Park: There are 22 campsites available in total at the park starting with a price of $50 (approx. €42, £39, $66 CAD, $69 AUD) including the facilities. You can visit their website visit for further information (www.countryviewrvparkprinceton.com).
Hickory Creek Campground: There are 121 total campsites available at Hickory Creek with a starting price of $15 (approx. €12, £11, $19 CAD, $20 AUD) for camping, including the facilities. You can visit this website for more information (www.recreation.gov).