A visit to Florida is always incomplete without a visit to the iconic city of Hollywood. The city is located in Broward County, Florida, between Fort Lauderdale and Miami. It was established in 1925 and it is the twelfth largest city in Florida. The city is home to America's Best Beach Broadwalk, Hollywood Beach Broadwalk stretched over 2.5 Miles (4 km) along the Atlantic Coast. The city is a beachfront community, and it has all that winter visitors need. Be it for a walk on the beach, water activities, sunbathing or fine warm winter weather, Hollywood is the perfect escape from the chilly weather home. The city is filled with gorgeous beaches, amazing galleries, parks, and all the places deemed perfect for an outdoor lifestyle. Along with these prerogatives of Hollywood, snowbirds should visit the city because of the high average of sunny days per year which is suitable for the visitors in winter to spend more time exploring the city.
Why should people visit during the winter?
The best time to visit Hollywood is in the winter. The warm weather makes it possible to go out and relax in the fresh atmosphere and attend some of the city's various activities. The city has 41st percentile in pleasant weather compared to tourist destinations worldwide. The weather of the city averages 246 sunny days per year. It has a lot of places to visit and things to do which should be part of your itinerary. You can explore the city on foot, go to the beach and relax, or taste some of the delicacies you can find in some of the stores.
The winter weather of Hollywood is moderately warm, but the nights can be chilly. Even in January the city has a high temperature of around 76°F (24°C) and a low temperate of 63°F (17°C) on average. The winter period normally does not see hurricanes (the hurricane season is from June to November).
For more climate information visit Meteoblue
Things to see in Hollywood, Florida
Hollywood is a prominent tourist location with many interesting places you can visit:
- Oleta River State Park: It is the largest urban park in Florida. The Park is filled with tangled, tidal mangroves. It has 1,033-acres of green space set against Biscayne Bay and it offers kayaking, hiking, camping, swimming, horse riding, and biking. The Park also hosts events all year-round, showcasing the nature of South Florida.
- St. Bernard De Clairvaux: You can visit the 12th Century Spanish monastery with scenic gardens offering regular tours and concerts. The monastery has many interesting artifacts belonging to the collection of William Randolph Hearst.
- Hollywood Beach Broadwalk: Stretching nearly 2.5 Miles (4 km) along the Atlantic, it was awarded as America's Best Beach Broad-walk. It is a haven for the bicyclists, joggers, and kids with roller-blades. You can jog or walk in the morning so that you can witness a beautiful sunrise and the sublime windy weather or you can enjoy the sunset in the evening. You can also take a late-night walk along the beach. You can visit the restaurants along the Broad-walk.
- Art & Culture Center of Hollywood: You can visit the Center for visual and performing arts shows, the adjacent art school, and the Hollywood Central Performing Arts Center. The Center hosts live stage performances, high-quality education programs, and gallery exhibitions.
- Naval Air Station Fort Lauderdale Museum: It is the only military museum in Broward County. It is a small, historic museum packed with displays about naval aviation, World War II history, and Flight 19. The building stands as the only remains of what was once a naval complex of over 200 buildings.
Things to see not far from Hollywood, Florida
There are many neighboring towns and places that are worth a visit:
- MAC Fine Art Gallery: MAC Art Galleries was awarded as the best gallery in Florida for 2020. This award-winning gallery displays the artwork of over 60 professional artists. You can visit the gallery to see the masterpieces yourself. It is located 12 Miles (19 km) from Hollywood.
- Jacaranda Golf Club: It is an 18-hole golf course located 14.1 Miles (23 km) from Hollywood. It offers two 4-star rated golf courses and hosted PGA, USGA, and FSGA Championship Events. The Club also hosts private tournaments. The facilities include a practice area, driving range, a pro shop, and restaurants. The golf course also offers great packages for the traveling golfers.
- Flamingo Gardens: It is a not-for-profit wildlife sanctuary, aviary, zoo as well as botanical garden. You can also take a tram ride and get a tour of the whole place while enjoying the sight of the wildlife, birds as well as the trees. It is located 18.5 Miles (30 km) from Hollywood.
- Everglades Holiday Park: It is a wildlife preserve and wildlife park but it especially known for its airboat tours. You can go on an airboat tour and enjoy the thrilling alligator presentation performed by the Gator Boys. You can also have one professional group photo at an airboat dock and one baby gator group photo free for a memory. It is located 31 Miles (50 km) from Hollywood.
- Miami: Visit the famous city.
- Key West: the most southern point of the US.
Activities in Hollywood, Florida in the winter
There are numerous activities you can participate in during your stay in Hollywood:
- Visit the Market: Hollywood is an attractive place popular for its outdoor lifestyle. You can enjoy it by roaming in the city with lots of shopping malls, golf courses, parks, and visits to the flea markets, and "shop till you drop".
- Kayaking/Canoe: You can rent a kayak or canoe and visit the Oleta River State Park, the largest urban park of Florida, and other parks to enjoy and witness nature in its beautiful landscape.
- Walking tour of the city: You can visit the city and various parks with a tour guide, shopping centers, pavilions, and golf clubs.
- Airboat Tour: You can go to the Everglades Holiday Park for a lifeboat tour and enjoy the presentation by the Gator Boys.
- Horse Riding: You can enjoy horseback riding in the Oleta River State Park.
- Visit the Arts & Culture Center of Hollywood: Visit the Arts & Culture Center of Hollywood to watch the visual and performing art shows and live stage shows.
- Visit St. Bernard De Clairvaux: Visit the 12th Century Spanish monastery for an exceptional Spanish infrastructure as well as the artifacts of the William Randolph Hearst. You can also attend various events and concerts hosted there.
- Spa & Fitness Clubs: There are various health clubs and spas nearby you can visit to have a quality time and be involved in activities beneficial for health like yoga too.
- Fishing: You can visit Oleta River State Park and similar attractions, Deerfield Beach International Fishing Pier, and similar locations for fishing.
- Golf: Spend a nice day golfing in the 18-hole 4-star rated golf course located in the Jacaranda Golf Club.
- Hiking: You can go on a hike because of the vast hiking space in the surroundings of Hollywood to enjoy the refreshing atmosphere and majestic views.
- Beach Broadwalk: You can go on a morning jog, walk, or even cycling on the 2.5 Miles (4 km) America's award-winning beach Broadwalk.
- Tram Ride in Flamingo Gardens: Take a tram ride and enjoy the wildlife sanctuary, trees, and aviary of the Flamingo Gardens.
Shops & Restaurants. Are they Open in winters?
Of course, you can find small and bigger shopping centers with all the main US chains in Hollywood. But you can also visit some of the fresh produce markets in Hollywood, such as the Yellow Green Farmers Market, the largest farmers market in South Florida, with over 300 under-roof booths in a 100,000 square foot facility. All the vendors gather around at a commonplace on Saturdays & Sundays, year-round, from 8 AM to 4 PM. You can purchase freshly picked fruits & vegetables from local farmers.
The city is bordered by the Atlantic Coast, so you can also find a fresh variety of seafood. Other than meat, fruits, or vegetables, you can also find a variety of other products like handmade ice-cream, home goods, furniture, dairy, and much more.
If you get hungry while shopping, you can also get a taste of lots of exquisite cuisines. There are no signature dishes that are historically related to Hollywood. The cuisine of Hollywood is as versatile as the city itself. If you are looking for a quick bite, you can opt for fast food but if you want a proper dine-in, you can find multiple restaurants belonging to different ethnicities as well.
The nearest airport to Hollywood is Fort Lauderdale-Hollywood International Airport located north of the city and only 4.9 Miles (8 km) from Hollywood. There are various airport shuttle services available which you can use or you can take an Uber or taxi to reach the city and vice versa. Of course, renting a car can be a good option if you plan to use it more often.
There is a "Sun Shuttle" service operated by Circuit. It is an environmentally-friendly, electric public transportation service providing transportation to the riders through service areas in downtown Hollywood, on Hollywood Beach along the Federal Highway. The Broward County Transit has nine routes through Hollywood that you can use to get around the city and connect to other local destinations. You can also take the option of Greyhound Bus services whose station is located in the city for intercity travel.
There are three train stations available in Hollywood including two tri-rail stations. There is one Hollywood Train Station served by Tri-rail and Amtrak, Sheridan Street Tri-rail Station along with Fort Lauderdale Airport Tri-Rail Station in the city. You can take these rail options for the inter-city as well as intra-city traveling.
In Hollywood, public and private health facilities are located in the city and are easily accessible. The health sector is perfectly suitable for anyone who walks in with a problem. 24/7 emergency is available in hospitals, and emergency cases are handled well. Some of the better healthcare centers are:
- Florida Department of Health: Public health care services (www.floridahealth.gov/)
- The Broward County Health Department: Public health care services (broward.floridahealth.gov/)
- Dental Care Center of Hollywood: Dental Care Services (www.dentalcenterofhollywood.com)
There are many different rental companies in Hollywood, whether you're looking for an apartment, cottage, or villa. Some of the most popular organizations are:
- Apartment Guide(www.apartmentguide.com)
- Rent.com (www.rent.com)
- Airbnb (www.airbnb.com) is also available in case you are looking for a customized offer.
These prominent websites, along with other websites connect you to the local real estate agents in Hollywood. You can rent a 1-bedroom and 1-bath starting from around $850 (approx. €718, £655, $1120 CAD, $1166 AUD).
Twin Lakes Travel Park: There are nearly 374 campsites in the Park. It costs nearly from $60 (approx. €50, £46, $79 CAD, $82 AUD) for camping, including the facilities. You can visit their website for more information (twinlakestravelpark.com/)