Princeville, a small town with a dramatic setting, offers you a chance to witness the most staggering beaches, charming botanical gardens, and upscale resorts in all of Kauai County. The tranquil atmosphere of Princeville gives you a unique experience by bringing you close to nature. From waterfalls and caves to the mountains and the sea, Princeville touches every aspect of beauty when it comes to leaving a visitor in awe. The tropical climate of the region makes the town a year-round destination. After all, who wouldn't want to spend a nice holiday at a place like Princeville?
Why should people visit during the winter?
Winter is generally considered to be a busy time for Princeville. The steady temperatures all year-round make Princeville very much alive during the winter months. You can enjoy visiting the various tourist-friendly locations in the area and explore the cultural side of the region as well. If you plan your trip effectively, you can even visit the nearby towns also because they all have something unique to offer. Princeville is also famous for its spectacular golf courses and sandy beaches. There are some activities available for you to indulge in and with thoughtful planning, Princeville can easily top your list for the best places to visit.
Princeville is located above sea-level and its climate can be classified as a tropical rainforest climate. Even though the temperatures don't change drastically during winter, you can expect an ample amount of rain. The average temperature stays around 67°F - 84°F (19°C - 29°C) throughout the year. Don't forget to pack an umbrella so your prepared if it rains.
For more climate information visit Meteoblue
Things to see in Princeville, Hawaii
Princeville is a great place to explore. Some of the best places to visit include:
- Pu'u Poa Beach: The longest golden sand beach in the area. The place offers multiple amenities and it is a popular spot for visitors. You can spend a nice relaxing day at the beach and enjoy the beautiful views of the sunset.
- Botanical Garden: The Botanical gardens of Princeville feature some of the most beautiful specimens in the region. The landscapes are breathtaking and the lush green environment is a complete mood changer. You can learn about the different types of plants and flowers present here.
- Pali Ke Kua Beach: The hidden gem of Kauai is located at a tranquil location not far from the town. Even though you are required to pass through a rather steep pathway to reach here, the views make it all worthwhile in the end.
- Hanalei Valley Lookout: One of the most iconic places to visit with a spectacular backdrop of mountains and a lush green valley in front. The beauty of this location is mesmerizing. You can take a walk around to admire the natural beauty and witness the sensational waterfalls of the area.
Things to see not far from Princeville, Hawaii
There are many places and towns in the surrounding areas that one can visit:
- Poipu Beach: Located in Koala at a distance of 42.2 Miles (68 km) from the town. The beach is known to have one of the best coasts in the country with miles of golden sand and beautiful views.
- Lihue: Located at a distance of 30 Miles (48 km) from the town. A tropical haven with a lot of attractions for you to explore. Make sure to visit the lighthouse on Ninini Beach which dates as far back as 1897 and the Alekoko Fishpond.
- Kilauea Lighthouse: Located at a distance of 8 Miles (13 km) from the town. The magnificent lighthouse dates back to the olden days and you can enjoy the staggering views of the ocean from here. People come by the area for whale watching.
- Limahuli Garden and Preserve: Located at a distance of 10.4 Miles (17 km) from the town. The beautiful Botanical Garden is home to amusing tropical vegetation which has important historic relevance to the people of Hawaii. The Limahuli stream flows through these gardens and makes for a nice relaxing spot.
Activities in Princeville, Hawaii in the winter
You can spend a wonderful time at Pahoa as the place offers many activities:
- Beaches: Princeville is home to some of the most amazing beaches in all of Kauai. The best beaches in the area include the Puu Poa Beach, Sealodge Beach, and Hideaway Beach.
- Gardens: Visit the Botanical gardens of Princeville to enjoy the lush green environment and beautiful landscapes.
- Golf: The town is popular for its golf courses. Take a trip to the famous Makai Golf Club and play a few rounds in the most exquisite setting.
- Daytrips: There are many major sites to see in nearby towns. You can either take the public bus or rent a car to visit the nearby islands for a nice day trip.
- Sunsets/ Sunrises: With a backdrop of mountains and an ocean on its side, can you think of better scenery to compliment a miraculous sunset or sunrise? The views are simply amazing.
- Hiking: Take in the beautiful scenic views of the town by going on a hike. You can take the path from the Princeton Shopping Centre to the St. Regis Hotel for an easy go. If you're a skilled hiker, take the Okolehao Trail up Hihimanu for the best views.
- Yoga Retreats: If you're into fitness, you can join a yoga retreat in Princeville. The natural setting of the area gives the perfect.
- Night Market: The famous night market of Princeville is held every month and it is considered to be the most looked-forward-to event. Enjoy the lively atmosphere at the market and experience the cultural aspects of the town.
- Whale Watching: Visit the Kilauea Lighthouse which is the most popular spot for visitors who enjoy whale watching.
Shops & Restaurants. Are they Open in winters?
Princeville is a lovely town with the most interesting combination of market places. The town is a popular winter destination and it offers a luxurious vacation. You will be pleased to see the lively marketplaces and the variety of products available. If you are a visitor in the town, you must visit these market places:
- Princeville Night Market: Held on the second Saturday of every month and the one market everyone looks forward to. Fill your evening with the most amazing products ranging from fresh food stalls to hand-crafted soaps. There is live music and the market is free for everyone to join.
- Princeville Center: This mall has everything under one roof. You can shop at their grocery store, shop for souvenirs, or just grab a bite.
Princeville offers a variety of food choices to its visitors. The local cuisine is full of delicious meals that you must try. You can find many different kinds of dishes including Mexican, Mediterranean, Italian, and more. You can be adventurous with your picks or surrender to your regulars, the food served here is always delicious.
The nearest airport to the town is the Lihue Airport which is located at a distance of 19 Miles (31 km) from the town. There are several routes available for you to travel from the airport to your destination but the best option is the local bus which will take you to your destination in an hour for just $2 (approx. €1.7, £1.56, $2.66 CAD, $2.77 AUD). Other options include getting a taxi, using an Uber, or renting a car.
The Kauai Bus is a public transportation service operating in the entire region. This is a convenient form of moving around both locally and regionally. Even though the bus doesn't take you to all the Islands of the Kauai region, you can easily visit the main sites because there are many bus stops present in the area. The service is cheap and it offers a comfortable ride. You can check for schedules online at www.kauai.gov/BusSchedules.
Renting a car is easy in Princeville but expensive when compared to public transport. If you want to visit a special place where there is no public transport, this service is ideal. You can rent one at the airport easily, but there are also numerous other locations if you do not want to rent one all the time.
If you want to use public transport, an easy way to find the best route is to use Google Maps. Find the directions from your starting point to the destination, and click on transit. It will then show you the public transport options.
There are many healthcare units in and around Princeville. Professional doctors and medical staff are always available to cater to you. These hospitals are located nearby and are easily accessible. Emergency services are also available at all times. You are provided with all sorts of facilities here including diagnosis, treatment, and medical care. The best medical centers in the region include:
- Makana North Shore Urgent Care https://makanaurgentcare.com/
- Mahelona Medical Center http://kauai.hhsc.org/
- Northshore Medical Center
- Complete Dental Decatur www.mycompletedental.com/
If you are a visitor in Princeville, you can easily find a decent place to stay in the town during winter for $1000 (approx. €851, £781, $1331 CAD, $1387 AUD) /month. Some of the most commonly used organizations for finding a nice second home are mentioned below:
- Parrish Kauai (www.parrishkauai.com/blog/kauai-long-term-rentals-from-100-nightly/)
- Trulia (https://www.trulia.com/)
- Airbnb (www.airbnb.com)
If you're looking for a great camping experience, there are several options available for you within and around the town. Some of these include:
- Camp Naue YMCA: A beautiful campsite with the most breathtaking sunset view. It is a great affordable option for campers ($20 (approx. €17, £15, $26 CAD, $27 AUD) / night) and it is located right on the beach so you can take a walk down the shore anytime you want. The owners of this place are very cooperative and welcoming. There is limited arrangement so it is better to book ahead.
- Kumu Camp: Located on Anahola Beach Retreat, at a distance of 16.5 Miles (27 km) from the town. It's another great place for campers with beautiful ocean views and great facilities.
If you're traveling with a motorhome, there are many places for you to explore as the region offers you many RV parking spots. You can visit Camp Naue YMCA and Kumu Camp for a decent and affordable experience.