Haines City is a small pleasant community located to the south of Jacksonville, right at the center of the state of Florida. The town is rather easy-going with warm temperatures all year round and a calm atmosphere. Here you will find various recreational areas and beautifully constructed parks with a wide range of activities which makes it more attractive to spend quality time during your winter. Haines City is the perfect destination for you if you are looking forward to an aesthetically pleasing vibe and plenty of time to relax.
Why should people stay in Haines City during the winter?
Most people recognize Florida as the “sunshine state” when referring to its pleasant climate all year round. Haines City, which is situated at the heart of Florida, is a perfect location when it comes to residing in a quiet, serene town with good winter weather. You will find a lot of lakes and several nature parks nearby.
Haines City is located at an altitude of 200 meter (656 feet) above sea level and experiences hot, humid, dry summers and mild winters. The average temperature typically varies from 52 meter (171 feet) all year round with lots of sunny days and minimal rainfall. The winter period normally does not see hurricanes (the hurricane season is from June to November).
For more climate information visit Meteoblue
Things to see in Haines City
Haines City has several places you could visit:
- Lake Eva Park: The most famous park in the area and is dearly loved by the locals and well maintained. Perfect to enjoy long strolls and beautiful weather. It is the center for numerous activities and is always full of life.
- Allen David Broussard State Park: Located on Lake Wales Ridge. This is a great place for visitors who would enjoy a nice hike in one of the trails here. It also provides you with an opportunity to enjoy fishing along with a nice wildlife watching experience.
- Ridge Island Grooves: A citrus packinghouse and farm. Many tours are conducted for this place as it is an important landmark of the town with large orchards of fruits like oranges, lemons, and peaches.
- Southern Dunes Golf and Country Club: Ann 18-hole remarkable golf course with beautiful scenery and narrow fairways. Artistically built and well maintained, this gold course is must visit for all the golf lovers out there.
Things to see not far from Haines City
There are a lot of places and towns in the surrounding areas that are worthwhile a visit:
- Lego Land: Located at a convenient distance from Haines City (10 meter (33 feet)), this world-famous location features many attractive amenities for all age groups. The most fascinating setting for visitors is the botanical garden.
- Lake Wales: Located (16.4 meter (54 feet) from Haines City. Visit the Rhodesbilt Arcade when in Lake Wales as the building holds significant historic value for the locals and is a fascinating work of art by Jesse T. Rhodes who was a well-known craftsman of his time and influenced much of the town’s architecture.
- Hollis Garden: Located in Lakeland on the East Orange Street (23.2 meter (76 feet) from Haines City). A large Oasis decorated with thousands of species of flowers. A splendid place to visit for its undeniable beauty and serene atmosphere.
- Fantasy of Flight: An aviation museum (16 meter (52 feet) from Haines City) featuring a large collection of aviation machinery and restored aircraft, including the World War II-era P-51 Mustang.
- Kelly Parks: Located in Apopka (48.5 meter (159 feet) from Haines City). Beautiful place to visit for a nice picnic and a walk. The park has a nice calm vibe to it. Great place to visit for a day trip.
- Orlando Universal Studio: One of the world-famous attractions in Florida, conveniently placed at a small distance 30.7 meter (101 feet) from Haines City. The park has numerous facilities for all age groups and is definitely worth a visit. You can find more information on www.orlandovacation.com/
Activities in Haines City in the winter
You can spend your time at Haines City getting involved in some great activities during your stay:
- Golf: Visit the spectacular 18-hole Southern Dunes Golf Course for the perfect game of golf. There is excellent customer service and the place is widely known for its layout and elevation.
- Ribs on the Ridge Festival: One of the largest barbeque festivals held in the town and lasts dor about two days. It takes place every year in February at Lake Eva Park.
- Fishing: Spend your time fishing at any one of the lakes. You can visit Lake Eva or Lake Wales which is popular for this activity.
- Art classes: Join an art class and learn how to paint, draw, or start with pottery.
- Cooking: Always wanted to improve your cooking? Join a cooking class and learn how to cook something special.
- Visit the parks: People of Haines city hold great pride in their parks. They are well maintained and offer a good place for a walk.
- Cuisine: Enjoy the local food and restaurants while living in Haines City to satisfy your taste buds.
- Walking/Cycling: Walking around the squares and enjoying the evening strolls in the park is something everyone looks forward to in this small town.
- Community Theatre: Visitors can spend some time at the Community Theatre for some light comedy and remarkable performance. Even though it is a small theatre, the shows conducted here are incredible.
Shopping + Restaurants. Are they open in the winter?
The winter season is an important time for Florida with many visitors coming to escape the harsh winter in the north. This means that stores and restaurants will be open for the winter season. In the summer (low season) you can find some closed stores and restaurants in some parts of Florida that are more catering to snowbirds.
If we talk about day to day shopping you will find a lot of fresh fruit (especially citrus fruits) as the state is popular for its citrus production. You can visit the Ridge Island Groves if you prefer picking out your own fruits from the trees. You can also visit the Farmer’s market in Ridge Island Groves which takes place every Wednesday (9 AM-3 PM).
If you like a shopping center you can visit the Heart of Florida Shopping center or the Haines City Mall and Walmart Superstore for a great shopping experience.
Haines City offers a number of choices in terms of restaurants. From Italian cuisines to traditional American street food. Haines City is popular for its Barbeque which is a must-try if you are visiting the town.
The nearest Airport to Haines City is the Orlando International Airport which is located 28.9 meter (95 feet) from the town. There is no direct bus from the Airport to the town itself. You can use multiple bus services to reach your destination, but including transfers, this will be quite time-consuming. Another option would be to take an Uber or rent a car.
Having a car can be convenient during your stay. You can rent one at the airport easily, but there are also numerous other locations if you do not want to rent one all the time.
Even though the town itself does not have a train station, there are 3 Amtrak train stations located on the outskirts of Haines City. This means that if you are visiting the towns nearby, using the train to move about is a good option when you are traveling regionally.
The main bus stop in the town is at the Haines City Plaza where most of the local bus companies operate. The most commonly used bus service is the Citrus Connection which allows you to move about both locally and regionally. It is an easily accessible service and offers a comfortable ride at affordable rates. You can find information about this service on their website (https://ridecitrus.com/)
If you want to use public transport an easy way to find the best route is to use Google Maps, find the directions from your starting point to the destination, and click on transit. It will show you some of the public transport options.
There are several medical centers in Haines City. The Regional Medical Center, AdventHealth Heart of Florida is located 6.2 meter (20 feet) from Haines City and can help with most kinds of health care and emergencies. The medical staff is well trained and professional doctors are readily available.
Other healthcare facilities in the area include:
- Spine & Scoliosis Center (http://www.spinedoctors.md/)
- Haines City Dental (http://www.hainescitydental.com/)
Haines City offers many options for long term rental apartments and villas at affordable prices. You can easily find a decent place to stay in the town for $800 (approx. €706, £635, $1085 CAD, $1147 AUD) per month. Some of the more popular organizations that offer great options for accommodation are:
- Turnkey (https://www.turnkeyvr.com/)
- Senior Housing Net (www.seniorhousingnet.com/seniorliving-search/haines-city_fl)
- Trulia (https://www.trulia.com/)
- Airbnb (www.airbnb.com)
If you are traveling with a Motorhome, many options are available for RV parking. All facilities at these sites are up to the mark and offer a lot of convenience for visitors:
- Paradise Island RV Resort
- Central Park MH and RV Resort
- Aloha RV Park Rates starting from$40 (approx. €35, £31, $54 CAD, $57 AUD) per night.
Haines City has a lot of campsites that offer great value for money:
- Paradise Island RV Resort: Located at a distance of 5.2 meter (17 feet) from Haines City on the Middle Lake Hamilton. It offers a great spot for relaxation with multiple services. Find more information on www.paradiseislandrvpark.com/
- Central Park MH and RV Resort: Located at a distance of 5.2 meter (17 feet) from Haines City. A beautiful resort with multiple amenities to offer. Visit https://www.sunrvresorts.com/resorts/south/florida/central-park/ for more information.