The city of Harlingen is located in Cameron County, in the central region of the Rio Grande Valley, Texas. The city is located at 30 Miles (48 km) from the Gulf of Mexico. It is known as a major transport and distribution hub for cotton, citrus fruit, and vegetables of the lower Rio Grande Valley. It is surrounded by chemical and other industries on the outskirts. The climate of the town is tropical all year-round and the snowbirds can surely have a memorable visit because of all the resorting amenities offered by the town along with the weather and lifestyle of Harlingen.
- 1 Why should people visit during the fall, winter, or spring?
- 2 Climate
- 3 Things to see in Harlingen, Texas
- 4 Things to see not far from Harlingen, Texas
- 5 Activities in Harlingen, Texas in the winter
- 6 Shops & Restaurants. Are they Open in winters?
- 7 Transport
- 8 Health
- 9 Accommodation
- 10 RV/Campers/Motorhome
- 11 Packing List
Why should people visit during the fall, winter, or spring?
The town of Harlingen has a lot to offer to its winter visitors. The tropical climate of the city is friendly to the snowbirds. The skies are clear in Harlingen mostly as the city averages 229 sunny days per year. The city has a great number of amenities and lots of attractions to visit. You can head out to explore the city on foot on a joyous sunny day and spend plenty of time outdoors.
The climate of Harlingen remains mostly sunny, humid as well as windy. It often rains and seldom snows in winter. The city has an average high temperature of 75°F (24°C) and an average low of 51°F (11°C). Heating systems in the residence are recommended due to cold weather at night.
For more climate information visit Meteoblue
Things to see in Harlingen, Texas
Harlingen is a popular tourist location. There are many places that you can visit in the area. Some of these include:
- The Harlingen Heritage & Arts Museum: The museum houses the eminent collection of Harlingen and Texas historic objects and photos. The main museum building features rotating arts and cultural exhibits. The building was the original home of the founder of Harlingen "Lon .C. Hill" and the first hospital of Harlingen. The building was used as an Air Force base as well.
- Iwo Jima Monument: Visit the monument to honor the Marines of the historic Iwo Jima Battle in WWII, the statue features six Marines raising the US flag to mark the victory of the battle. You can attend the Veterans Day Parade held in November and the Iwo Jima Parade scheduled in February as well. You can also visit the Iwo Jima Gift Shop for souvenirs.
- Lower Rio Grande Valley National Wildlife Refuge: It is home to 1200 species of native plants, 700 species of vertebrates, and 300 species of butterflies. You can get a chance to see the rare ocelot, Mexican bluewing butterfly, Northern caracara, and lots more. You can visit this place for hiking, taking pictures of the majestic views and wildlife, hunting, fishing, and interpretive programs.
- La Feria Nature Center: The Park is lit with trails, playgrounds, picnic pavilions, observation decks for bird watching, and a butterfly garden.
- Arroyo Park: You can visit the park for picnics, hiking, fishing, nature sightseeing as well as bird watching. Go to the Raptor Ridge for serene views of the mountains and enjoy a snack on the spot.
Things to see not far from Harlingen, Texas
There are many neighboring towns and places in the surrounding areas that one can visit.
- Laguna Atascosa National Wildlife Refuge: It is the largest protected natural habitat located in the Lower Rio Grande Valley. It is located 27 Miles (43 km) from Harlingen. The place is known for its birds and wildlife diversity. You can visit the Refuge for hunting, hiking, and fishing.
- Beach Park at Isla Blanca: You ought to visit this place as it features a big Oceanside Water Park with outdoor as well as indoor amusements. Here, on-site dining and lodging are also offered. It is located 45.1 Miles (73 km) from Harlingen.
- Las Palmas Race Park: It is located 45.3 Miles (73 km) from Harlingen. Visit the Park to enjoy the Quarter Horse Racing held every Sunday. Concerts are also held at the Race Park and outdoor dining is also offered there.
- South Texas Golf Club: The Club hosts various golf tournaments, corporate outings, and events as well as scenic views. It is located 27 Miles (43 km) from Harlingen.
Activities in Harlingen, Texas in the winter
There are numerous activities you can engage in during your visit to Harlingen. Some of them include:
- Visit Harlingen Heritage & Arts Museum: Visit the museum to get acquainted and educated about the permanent collection of the Harlingen and Texas historic objects and photos. You can also witness the rotating arts and cultural exhibits.
- Visit Las Palmas Race Park: Visit the Race Park every Sunday to enjoy the Quarter Horse Racing along with concerts and outdoor dining.
- Walking tour of the city: Embark on a walking tour of Harlingen with a guide to watch the beautiful attractions of the city and taste the delicacies.
- Veterans Day Parade: Visit the Iwo Jima Monument and attend the Veterans Day Parade held in November to pay tribute to the WWII Veterans.
- Iwo Jima Parade: Visit the Iwo Jima Monument and attend the Iwo Jima Parade held in February.
- Hunting: Experience the ultimate hunting experience at Lower Rio Grande Valley National Wildlife Refuge &Laguna Atascosa National Wildlife Refuge.
- Fishing: Visit Laguna Atascosa National Wildlife Refuge, Arroyo Park, Lower Rio Grande Valley National Wildlife Refuge for a great fishing experience.
- Bird & Butterfly Watching: Visit LowerRio Grande Valley National Wildlife Refuge, Arroyo Park, La Feria Nature Center, Laguna Atascosa National Wildlife Refuge, and similar attractions to observe the most beautiful and rare species of birds as well as butterflies.
- Wildlife Photography: Visit the LowerRio Grande Valley National Wildlife Refuge to engage in the photography of one of the rarest wildlife species.
- Hiking: Visit Laguna Atascosa National Wildlife Refuge, Arroyo Park, Lower Rio Grande Valley National Wildlife Refuge, and similar attractions for hiking on a mildly warm day.
- Spa & Fitness Clubs: There are various health clubs nearby equipped with spas and you can visit these clubs to enjoy quality time as well as get involved in activities beneficial for health like yoga.
- Golf: Spend a nice day golfing in the South Texas Golf Club or Harlingen Country Club and nearby golf clubs in town or other counties.
Shops & Restaurants. Are they Open in winters?
You can find a good deal of fresh produce markets in Harlingen such as Harlingen Farmers Market, where more than 30 vendors gather at the marketplace from 3 pm to 4:30 pm every Saturday. You can find a great variety of freshly picked fruit, vegetables, and other fresh products. Along with this, you can enjoy live music, watch live chef demos, and get free samples. There are children's activities as well for the kids to have fun while you shop.
The state of Texas is renowned for its fried chicken and beef steaks, barbecue, beef stew, fried sopapillas pastries, Texan peanut butter pie as well as hamburgers, and much more. You can enjoy the Texan cuisine in Harlingen as it is abundantly available and the dishes are fairly priced.
There is a Valley Metro service provided by the Lower Rio Grande Valley Development Council. The fairs are for adults and $0.50 (approx. €0.46, £0.4, $0.67 CAD, $0.7 AUD) for students, veterans, disabled and the elderly (60+). The service hours are 6 am to 8 pm from Monday to Saturday. Valley Metro can be used for travelling across the city or travelling within the town with stops all over the city. You can also choose the option of the Tornado Bus Company for inter-city travel.
Greyhound Bus Station is located within the city of Harlingen for inter-city travel. You can take a taxi or bus for travelling to and from the station.
The city of Harlingen has its own Valley International Airport located within the city. There are various airport shuttle services available for use and you can also take a taxi or a bus to reach the airport or get to your residence from the airport.
In Harlingen, public and private health facilities are located in the town and are easily accessible. The health sector is perfectly suitable for anyone who walks in needing attention. 24/7 emergency is available in hospitals. Emergency cases are handled well and you can find some of the most significant healthcare centers mentioned below:
- Texas Department of State Health Services: Public health care services (www.dshs.state.tx.us/)
- Sunglo Home Health Service: Home health care services (www.sunglohhs.com/)
- Harlingen Dental Care: Dental care services (www.harlingendentalcare.com/)
There are a number of different rental companies present in Harlingen, whether you're in search of an apartment, cottage or villa. Some of the most popular organizations that are commonly used include:
- Apartment Guide (www.apartmentguide.com)
- Apartments.com (www.apartments.com)
- Zillow (www.zillow.com)
- Airbnb (www.airbnb.com) is also available in case you are looking for a more customized offer.
These prominent websites along with other websites connect you to the local real estate agents in Harlingen. You can rent a 1-bedroom and 1-bath starting with a price range of $505 (approx. €463, £408, $674 CAD, $710 AUD).
Sunshine RV Resort: There are 1027 total sites for RV parking are available. The charges are $51 (approx. €46, £41, $68 CAD, $71 AUD) with the facilities like water, sewer, and electricity included. You can visit the website for more information (https://www.rvonthego.com/texas/sunshine-rv-resort/)
- Weather: The fall, winter, and spring weather in Harlingen (Texas) will normally be warm during the day and can be cold during the night. Of course in the fall and spring it will be warmer than in the winter. You have to pack accordingly.
Warm clothing: Even when you go to a warm location like Harlingen (Texas) you should not forget to take some things with you for your trip back home. When you return you are adapted to the warmer weather and need something to protect you from your hometown temperatures.
Consider the Weather: Always look at the type of weather in Harlingen (Texas). Things like humidity, wind, and rain do not show up in the temperature graph but can have a great impact on your wardrobe. There are several sites with long term forecasts and climate information. Is there often a short afternoon downpour like in the tropics, you maybe need to take a strong umbrella and shoos that can cope with the rain. If there is often a lot of wind you might need a more wind-resistant coat.
Check the local Shopping options: Try to find information about the local shopping options near your location in Harlingen (Texas). Are there stores where you can buy all your daily supplies, or are some things difficult to get? For some more remote locations, the options can be limited. If a certain item is really important for you might need to take it with you.
Look at the Local Culture: The local culture in Harlingen (Texas) can impact your wardrobe. If most activities are in more upscale locations you might take some more appropriate clothes with you. Or travelling if you travel to certain countries women need to cover themselves in certain areas.
Amenities: Know what’s Included in your house or apartment. Is there a coffee maker, a toaster, a washer and dryer, an iron, what is in the kitchen, what kind of towels are there? Things that are there means you do not have to take them with you. A furnished apartment or house can mean something from a few pieces of furniture to a well-stocked place with all the things you have at home. But most of the time your rental will not be stocked.
Mix and match: Wear layers so you can use your wardrobe more efficiently. And do not worry about wearing something more often, probably only you will notice this.
Important for you: If there is something that is really important for you that you want to have present in your house or apartment, take it with you. This can be something like a special knife for the kitchen, or a small mirror that you use in the morning. You can also purchase it locally if it is not that expensive.
Pet supplies: If you take your pet with you don’t forget to take supplies for a few days with you. And enough medication, vitamins, or other supplies if you can not purchase them in Harlingen (Texas) locally.
Food: Don’t take a lot of food with you. Only when there is something you really can not live without you, and it is not too heavy you could consider taking it with you.
Towels: Not all locations include bigger towels for the swimming pool or a visit to the beach. If you have to take them and don’t have a lot of room you can buy some big thin towels.
Office supplies: Normally you will not find any office supplies in your house or apartment. If you think you will use them you could pack some supplies like a scissor, notepaper, envelopes, some pens, and more depending on your needs.
Limit yourself: Don’t take too many shoes and jackets, you will not need them that often.
Best-fitting: Bring your favorite and best-fitting items that can multi-function
Washer: Do you have a washer and dryer onsite, you don’t need to pack a lot of clothes
Other locations close to this location:
If you see this after your page is loaded completely, leafletJS files are missing.
If you have any additions, or comments on the content on this page, please use our contact form to let us know.
Detailed weather during the year for Harlingen Texas
- Weather in Harlingen Texas for January
- Weather in Harlingen Texas for February
- Weather in Harlingen Texas for March
- Weather in Harlingen Texas for April
- Weather in Harlingen Texas for May
- Weather in Harlingen Texas for June
- Weather in Harlingen Texas for July
- Weather in Harlingen Texas for August
- Weather in Harlingen Texas for September
- Weather in Harlingen Texas for October
- Weather in Harlingen Texas for November
- Weather in Harlingen Texas for December
What to do during the year in Harlingen Texas
- What to do in January in Harlingen Texas
- What to do in February in Harlingen Texas
- What to do in March in Harlingen Texas
- What to do in April in Harlingen Texas
- What to do in May in Harlingen Texas
- What to do in June in Harlingen Texas
- What to do in July in Harlingen Texas
- What to do in August in Harlingen Texas
- What to do in September in Harlingen Texas
- What to do in October in Harlingen Texas
- What to do in November in Harlingen Texas
- What to do in December in Harlingen Texas