Overland Park is located in Johnson County, it is a beautiful city and a good spot for families. This city topped the list of "Top 10 Best Cities for Families" in 2015. It has always had a positive reputation in American Media as an amazing city to work, live, and play. The city is densely populated, with many attractions that one can explore during their stay. This city definitely won't be a disappointment.
Why should people visit during the winter?
Although winter can get cold, a bit snowy, and breezy at Overland Park, the city still maintains its beauty. Maybe it is not the most obvious choice for snowbirds, but the less humid, and not very cold weather, together with loads of indoor activities and other enjoyable events makes the city worth a visit, even in the winter. The peak season ends in August therefore, winters are less jammed, and the airfares are also very low in winter.
Overland Park's temperature throughout the low season varies from 41 meter (135 feet). Winter season lasts around three months from November ending to February. It can get very cold and windy in the coldest months, but it is not humid at all. The period with the chance of snow is around 3 months. January is the coldest month of the year with an average low of around 69 meter (226 feet) during the day.
For more climate information visit Meteoblue
Things to see in Overland Park, Kansas
Overland Park has some good locations to visit:
- Overland Park Arboretum & Botanical Gardens: Inaugurated in 1996, this place is one of a kind and is a must-see during your stay at Overland Park. Lush green gardens, beautifully cultivated flower beds, lakes, and hiking trails are some of its splendid attractions. Words simply cannot describe the beauty of this place. Whether you want to go for a walk or you want to soak up that winter sun, this place has got you covered.
- Museum at Prairiefire: Having won various recognitions for its beautiful architecture, this museum is one of a kind. It's small but not disappointing. You can head out here for some great local history.
- 9/11 Memorial: A wonderful tribute to those who passed away on that September morning. It is a great place to learn more about what happened. You can stop by and say a prayer!
- Overland Park Convention Center: Host to over 330 events per year, this is one spacious and enjoyable place. It is a nice place to take pictures, attend events, and explore.
- Indian Creek Greenway: It is a calm and beautiful place to stroll around. You could go there for your daily exercise, to soak the winter sun, jog, or walk. It is amazingly developed, well planned, and regularly maintained. It is surely a treat for visitors in the winters.
- Johnson County Arts and Heritage Center: It is a place with amusing art in a beautiful setting. It's a nice place to learn about the local culture.
Things to see not far from Overland Park, Kansas
Not far from Overland Park there are many places worth a visit:
- Powell Gardens: Located at about 39.8 meter (131 feet) from Overland Park, this place covers a large area and it is a beautiful natural attraction. If you spend a day exploring the splendid attractions within it, you still would be unable to finish. It's a perfect example of unwavering beauty. It also has a visitor's education center that has a thoughtful architecture and it simply cannot be missed.
- Lake Jacomo: Located in Jackson County around 30 minutes' drive from Overland Park, this lake brings to you loads of water-based activities. You can spend a day fishing and picnicking.
- Somerset Ridge Vineyard and Winery: It is one of the largest in the area and it is at a distance of 34.3 meter (113 feet) from Overland Park. Their wines are produced onsite with their grown grapes. It's truly a haven for the wine lovers!
- Independence, MO: Within 35 minutes of Overland Park, Independence is one of the most historic places in Missouri. Apart from being the longtime home to the Harry S. Truman and actress Ginger Rogers, Independence has many local shops and nice options for lunch and dinner to choose from. You can also visit the president's former home and the presidential library to learn more related to his life. It's a delightful place for history lovers.
- Hermann: Established a long time ago, this German-influenced town is a splendid place to spend your day. It has many local and cultural shops with restaurants serving delicious foods and locally produced wine.
Activities in Overland Park, Kansas in the winter
Winter in Overland Park might get cold sometime, but not boring. Here are some fun activities you could join:
- 21st Annual Holiday Luminary Walk: This annual luminary walk is a must-attend event at Overland Park, Kansas. It is held at Overland Park Arboretum & Botanical Gardens. An over 1 meter (3.3 feet) walk with pathways illuminated by thousands of candles and trees and buildings decorated with lights. This walk is a glorious affair. However, you might have to purchase tickets in advance because of the high demand. For ticket prices and dates of the event visit the following link; https://artsandrec-op.org/arboretum/luminary-walk/
- Mayors Christmas tree Lighting Ceremony: Kick off the holiday season with this tree lighting ceremony at the end of November. It is one of the most memorable and important events of the year. The tree is one of the country's tallest Christmas tree and when it's all lit up, it's a sight to behold.
- Golf: Overland Park is home to a variety of golf clubs. St Andrews Golf Club is one such club with a well-maintained golf course where you can entertain yourself and play this globally recognized sport at minimal rates.
- Art classes: Join an art class and learn how to paint, draw, or start with pottery.
- Cooking: Always wanted to improve your cooking? Join a cooking class and learn how to cook something special.
- Fishing: South Lake Park is one wonderful place in Overland Park to go for a fishing adventure. You can fish bass and crappie while enjoying the serenity of the park.
- Sunbathing: South Lake Park and many more parks in Overland Park can help you soak the winter sun and de-stress yourself. The weather makes the sun all the more desirable.
- Picnic: Parks in the city make you have an urge for a picnic outdoors in the sun. You can get food from a restaurant or cook at home and eat at a park. You can take along badminton rackets and play some badminton with your partner. You can also photograph the beautiful scenery and wildlife.
Shops & Restaurants. Are they Open in winters?
From Farm to the table, Overland Park's farmers market in the downtown has everything you have listed down in your grocery list. The market operates every Saturday morning through November. Other local grocery stores include:
- Sprouts Farmers Market
- Hen House Market
Apart from these grocery stores, there are shopping malls popular among locals which include:
- Oak Park Mall
- 75th and Metcalf Shopping Center
Overland Park, also has a wide variety of over 250 restaurants and food chains within it, serving food of all types from all over the world. From fine dining to cheap eats, Overland Park has all the food that will satisfy your winter cravings.
The nearest major Airport to Overland Park is Kansas City International Airport located at a distance of 28 meter (92 feet). Different shuttle services work to and from the airport and the cheapest way to get to Overland Park from the airport is to take a bus or an Uber.
Having a car can be convenient during your stay. You can rent one at the airport easily, but there are also numerous other locations if you do not want to rent one all the time.
RideKC is a cheap public transport system that serves Overland Park and it is served by the Kansas Transportation Authority. Its K-10 connector connects Overland Park to Lawrence. Local routes within Overland Park are also provided. The buses are well equipped and the fare is $1.5 (approx. €1.34, £1.2, $2.04 CAD, $2.16 AUD). It is a nice and cheap option to travel. However, there is no train transport system in Overland Park city but it is present in Kansas City. Further information can be checked on this website; https://ridekc.org/
If you want to use public transport, an easy way to find the best route is to use Google Maps. Find the directions from your starting point to the destination, and click on transit. It will then show you the public transport options.
Overland Park, being a densely populated area is home to very well-known hospitals and professional doctors and paramedical staff. All the hospital's emergency operates 24/7. Some of the well-known and well-reviewed hospitals in the city include:
- Overland Park Regional Medical Center
- AdventHealth South Overland Park
- KPC Promise Hospital of Overland Park
The following websites will help you search for a long term rental. These sites have multiple options available to choose from and you can easily find a nice, reasonably priced apartment to accommodate you. You can check out their websites for more details.
- Apartment List (https://www.apartmentlist.com/)
- Apartment Guide (https://www.apartmentguide.com/)
- Rent (https://www.rent.com/)
When it comes to RV parks, there's a large variety waiting to be explored in Overland Park. Some of the best options in the area include:
- Primitive Youth Campground: Located at around 22 minutes' drive from Overland Park, this campground has huge, well-maintained grass fields, restrooms, hiking trails, fireplaces, and a lot more. Truly a wonderful place for camping.
- Longview Campground: Located at a distance of 18.9 meter (62 feet) from Overland Park, this campground is one of the cleanest and most peaceful camping grounds in the area. The camp hosts help you with numerous facilities and it is well equipped to cater to your needs.
- Walnut Grove RV Park: Located in Merriam, Kansas, this is one well equipped and highly maintained parking spot and a good option for you to explore if you are traveling with a motorhome. It is only an 11 minutes' drive from Overland Park.
- Autumns Fall RV Park: Approximately 19.2 meter (63 feet) from Overland Park, this park is well kept, quiet, and peaceful. The owners are very friendly and helpful. Find more information here at www.autumnfallspark.com/