Torrox is a beautiful little town located in the province of Malanga on the foothills of Sierra de Almijara. With a picturesque beauty and good winter climate, it has been a famous tourist spot for many years. Spending your winter in Torrox is a truly fascinating experience all in itself as you not only get to familiarize yourself with the traditional environment of the municipality, the presence of numerous coastal attractions nearby will make your stay worth the visit.
Why should people stay in Torrox during the winter?
Torrox has been a tourist-friendly location for a long time. The biggest contribution to this aspect lies with the fact that it is one of the most climate-friendly locations in Europe. This small coastal town of Costa Del Sol has many attractive features to offer, starting off with the beauty it holds within itself. The beautiful narrow streets and whitewashed houses. The town is quieter in winters but never really sleeps. If you like beautiful landmarks, beaches, and rich cultural heritage, this town is the perfect place for you.
Torrox lies 154 meter (505 feet) above sea-level and experiences a typical Andalusia climate, where in the winter the day temperature often can reach above 20°C (68°F). It has hot summers and mild winters. Many snowbirds like to spend their winter at Torrox to escape the harsh weather as it is fairly pleasant in this coastal municipality. There are plenty of sunny days in the winter and is often recognized as one of the best winter climates on the European continent.
For more climate information visit Meteoblue
Things to see in Torrox
Being an important tourist location with a rich history and Moorish culture, this town has a lot to offer. Some of the main attractions are mentioned below.
- Whitewashed village: An attractive feature of the small town is the beauty it holds within itself with its picturesque white village and beautiful narrow streets. If you are visiting the town, make sure to explore the smaller streets of this Moorish village.
- Torrox Costa Promenade: Ideal place for long peaceful walks along the shore with beautiful views and sunsets. Plenty of restaurants and bars located nearby.
- El Morche: Among the most famous beaches of Torrox and is a popular spot for people who come by to relax and enjoy the coastal views. There are restaurants and bars located nearby as well.
- Faro Torrox: The famous historic lighthouse, part of the Roman archaeological site. The place is an important landmark and many tourists come to visit the museum located here.
- Centro de Interpretación Faro de Torrox: The museum is located at the far end of the promenade near the lighthouse and is definitely worth the visit as it highlights the fascinating history of the town.
- Torrox Market: Held every Monday at Torrox Costa and is worth a look around as the market has a variety of goods including clothes, leather products, handicraft items, and fresh produce.
- Mudejar church of Nuestra Señorea de la Encarnación: Located in Olvera, this church is a magnificent historic sight built in the 16h century.
Things to see not far from Torrox
Torrox is located in the Axarquia region, with many places in the surrounding areas that are worthwhile visiting:
- Playa de Wilches: Located on the road from Torrox to Nerja. A nice, secluded beach where most of the people come to enjoy a peaceful walk and spend their days relaxing.
- Tower of Morche: One of the first watchtowers built in Malanga. It holds important cultural significance and is visible from the N-340 motorway.
- Playa de Burriana: A famous beach in Nerja which is always full of life and offers numerous activities to the visitors including yoga retreats, boat rentals, and a lively promenade.
- Nerja countryside: No better way to explore the true Spanish countryside with professional tour guides at Nerja Quad Tours.
- Bodegas Bentomiz: A charming Winery located in the hills of Axarquia (23 km (14 Miles) from Torrox). Highly recommended for a day trip as you get to taste the different wines and visit the production house along with the vineyards.
Activities in Torrox in the winter
Torrox offers a number of activities one can participate, to make the stay worthwhile.
- Fiesta de las Migas: A popular festival celebrated annually on the Sunday before Christmas day. Many people visit this festival, as it is a large celebration depicting the true cultural essence of the town.
- Sunsets: The time spent at the Torrox Costa will give you the best sunset views you could ask for.
- Feria de Torrox: An important cultural festival held in early October.
- Nerja Quad Tours: No better way to explore the true Spanish countryside with professional tour guides.
- Torrox Market: Great place for visitors to explore the local market and buy souvenirs as there is a large variety of products available.
- Walking and Cycling: There are many walking routes in the area. Check with the local tourist office.
- Golf: Torrox has an 18-hole golf club (Baviera Golf) located nearby and is easily accessible.
- Yoga retreats: The town has its own Yoga studio.
Shopping + Restaurants. Are they open in the winter?
Where Torrox identifies itself as a well-known tourist spot, it certainly doesn't disappoint when it comes to the local cuisine. If you are a visitor, make sure to try these special dishes in the Torrox cuisine in order to make the most out of your visit. Some of the famous dishes are mentioned below:
- Migas: This famous dish is so special to the locals that they hold an entire festival celebrating it. This dish consists of garlic fried bread crumbs, served with a variety of ingredients.
- Arriera Salad
- Ajoblanco con Uvas
In the winter a lot of shops and restaurants targeting tourist will be closed, but there are still a lot of restaurants open like:
- Meson la Terraza: Offers Belgian, Mediterranean food
- Madras Curry House (Indian Food)
The main shopping district in Torrox where people come and go to buy the daily life essentials like fruits, vegetables, meat, and milk etc is the Torrox Market. The place is a common hub for everyone living in Torrox as it offers a variety of products with reasonable rates. It is held every Monday and is easily accessible to everyone living in the main town.
The bus service around Torrox is excellent and can be used to get around easily. Even though there is no bus station present in Torrox, there are multiple bus stops. It is the most affordable form of transport in the area. Visit the local tourist office to get the local bus routes and schedules. Some of the commonly used bus services are:
- Busbud (www.busbud.com)
- Malanga Bus Station: Offers a wide range of bus routes and schedules that you can follow.
- Check My Bus (www.checkmybus.com/torrox)
The nearest Airport for Torrox is Malaga Airport, which is approximately 30 minutes away from the town and is easily accessible from the A7. You can use a bus, hire a car or take a cab.
Torrox has no train station.
In Torrox, both public and private health facilities are located nearby and are easily accessible. Emergency cases are handled and there will be English speaking staff. Some of the nearby health facilities are:
- Torrox Centro de Salud: Public medical center in Torrox. (www.sspa.juntadeandalucia.es)
- Hospital Comarcal: The nearest hospital located in Velez Malaga
- Dental Torrox
There are a number of different rental companies present in Torrox, whether you're looking for an apartment or a villa. One of the most popular organizations includes Torrox Property Services (www.torroxpropertyservices.com) and Kyero (www.kyero.com) which offers a large variety of rental properties like apartments and villas also for longer periods. Idealista (www.idealista.com) is another organization that connects you to local renters and real estate agents who offer apartments with rates starting from €500 (approx. $607, £445, $772 CAD, $788 AUD) per month.
Other options like Airbnb (www.airbnb.com) are also available in case you're looking for a more customized offer. The prices vary according to the location and the size of the accommodation.a
Camping El Peno: Located at a small distance from Torrox. It provides numerous facilities and excellent service to visitors. Well known for its beautiful surroundings and nice atmosphere. The staff is super friendly and the campsite runs throughout the year, making it an ideal destination for winter visitors. Further information can be gathered at their website (www.campingelpino.com)
Camping Cabopino: A lot further away an excellent site for winter visitors is located in Malaga approximately 100km away from Torrox. Further information can be gathered at their website (www.campingcabopino.com/)
If you are traveling with a Motorhome, MiluCar Camper Area (milucar.es/) has decent locations to offer with rates starting from €10 (approx. $12, £8, $15 CAD, $15 AUD). It is a fairly decent place to park your campervan and is located near Torrox. The place has nice Dutch owners and is well recommended by previous visitors.
- Weather: The winter weather in Torrox (Spain) will normally be warm during the day and can be cold during the night. You have to pack accordingly.
Warm clothing: Even when you go to a warm location like Torrox (Spain) you should not forget to take some things with you for your trip back home. When you return you are adapted to the warmer weather and need something to protect you from your hometown temperatures.
Consider the Weather: Always look at the type of weather in Torrox (Spain). Things like humidity, wind, and rain do not show up in the temperature graph but can have a great impact on your wardrobe. There are several sites with long term forecasts and climate information. Is there often a short afternoon downpour like in the tropics, you maybe need to take a strong umbrella and shoos that can cope with the rain. If there is often a lot of wind you might need a more wind-resistant coat.
Check the local Shopping options: Try to find information about the local shopping options near your location in Torrox (Spain). Are there stores where you can buy all your daily supplies, or are some things difficult to get? For some more remote locations, the options can be limited. If a certain item is really important for you might need to take it with you.
Look at the Local Culture: The local culture in Torrox (Spain) can impact your wardrobe. If most activities are in more upscale locations you might take some more appropriate clothes with you. Or travelling if you travel to certain countries women need to cover themselves in certain areas.
Amenities: Know what’s Included in your house or apartment. Is there a coffee maker, a toaster, a washer and dryer, an iron, what is in the kitchen, what kind of towels are there? Things that are there means you do not have to take them with you. A furnished apartment or house can mean something from a few pieces of furniture to a well-stocked place with all the things you have at home. But most of the time your rental will not be stocked.
Mix and match: Wear layers so you can use your wardrobe more efficiently. And do not worry about wearing something more often, probably only you will notice this.
Important for you: If there is something that is really important for you that you want to have present in your house or apartment, take it with you. This can be something like a special knife for the kitchen, or a small mirror that you use in the morning. You can also purchase it locally if it is not that expensive.
Pet supplies: If you take your pet with you don’t forget to take supplies for a few days with you. And enough medication, vitamins, or other supplies if you can not purchase them in Torrox (Spain) locally.
Food: Don’t take a lot of food with you. Only when there is something you really can not live without you, and it is not too heavy you could consider taking it with you.
Towels: Not all locations include bigger towels for the swimming pool or a visit to the beach. If you have to take them and don’t have a lot of room you can buy some big thin towels.
Office supplies: Normally you will not find any office supplies in your house or apartment. If you think you will use them you could pack some supplies like a scissor, notepaper, envelopes, some pens, and more depending on your needs.
Limit yourself: Don’t take too many shoes and jackets, you will not need them that often.
Best-fitting: Bring your favorite and best-fitting items that can multi-function
Washer: Do you have a washer and dryer onsite, you don’t need to pack a lot of clothes