Playa del Ingles is a stunning sea resort located on the south coast of Gran Canaria island in the Canary Islands. The 2.7 km (1.7 Miles) long resort is often described as one of the most famous beaches in Europe. This fun sunny beach offers visitors a variety of leisure and sports activities like sailing, water-skiing, and many more. You are sure not to be bored while visiting the area. On the plus side, the locals here are known to be very friendly and welcoming people.
Its beaches welcome tourists from all over the world. There is a nudist section close to the dunes and an area popular with the LGBTQ community near Bar 7. There are also marked-out areas for children, surfers, and other beachgoers.
Playa del Ingles is lined with luxurious hotels and villas, great restaurants, snack bars, fast food outlets, amusement arcades, etc. the town is bustling with a growing gay scene, with clubs and bars themed especially for them. There are also gay pride festivals.
- 1 Why should people visit during the winter?
- 2 Climate
- 3 Safety
- 4 Communication, internet, and cellphone in Playa del Inglés, Gran Canaria
- 5 Things to see in Playa del Inglés, Gran Canaria
- 6 Things to see not far from Playa del Inglés, Gran Canaria
- 7 Activities in Playa del Inglés, Gran Canaria in the fall, winter, or spring
- 8 Shopping + Restaurants. Are they open in the fall, winter, or spring?
- 9 Transport
- 10 Health
- 11 Accommodation
- 12 Packing List
Why should people visit during the winter?
Not only does Playa del Ingles have fine weather where you can enjoy the gentle sun all through the year, but it also has some of the most wonderful beaches in Europe for you to also enjoy. Over the decades, snowbirds have visited this spot to relax at the beach, and take in the sun.
Several top-class shops are open during winter. Snowbirds can still shop and have fun during the winter. Also, there are fine dining experiences that shouldn't be missed out on. All year, tourists come to Playa del Ingles because while you have fun and relax, you are also safe all the while. Snowbirds who decide to visit the resort won't regret their choice.
Thanks to Gran Canaria's mild climate, Playa del Ingles enjoys sunny warm subtropical weather all year round. Winters here are very mild, dry, and comfortable. The hottest month is August, with the high average temperature of 25°C (77°F). while the lowest temperatures of about 19°C (66°F) can be experienced in January. There is a difference between the north of the island, where the Passat winds bring clouds and sometimes some rain, and the south that is protected by the mountains in the center. This results in sunny and warmer weather in Playa del Ingles.
For more climate information visit Meteoblue
Snowbirds are very much safe in Playa del Ingles. There's a low chance of theft, robbery, or other forms of petty crimes. But as with all locations, you should always look after your valuables and do not put them in clear sight. The only thing you might have to worry about is a sunburn.
Communication, internet, and cellphone in Playa del Inglés, Gran Canaria
Spanish is the official language of Playa del Ingles, but English is also spoken to a large extent, to the favor of snowbirds who cannot speak Spanish. You shouldn't have an issue communicating with locals or other tourists, and making a purchase will be easy.
As Gran Canaria is part of Spain, European residents can use their mobile phones without any problems (roam like home). For non-EU residents, it is advised to check the rates, and if needed buy a local sim card.
In terms of network service providers, Vodafone, Movistar, and Simyo are some of the networks available. They all offer considerably cheap calls and data services.
Alternatively, you could use the phones in your apartment or hotels to make international calls, or you could make use of one of the phone booths that are around some local shops.
Things to see in Playa del Inglés, Gran Canaria
While in Playa del Ingles, snowbirds can enjoy a variety of attractions in the area such as:
- Templo Ecumencio de San Salvador: This is a beautiful catholic church with a stunning mosaic of stained glass. It has an unusual and modern architecture. Snowbirds can visit this church to get away from the loud and crowded days at the beaches.
- Paseo Maritimo: This is a boardwalk on the beach of Playa del Ingles from which you will be able to enjoy great views of the dunes and the sea. There are also shops and cafes lining the area.
Things to see not far from Playa del Inglés, Gran Canaria
Not far from Playa del Ingles, Snowbirds could also see a number of other attractions like:
- Natural Dune Reserve of Maspalomas: Many snowbirds will be amazed to find a desert on the island of Gran Canaria, but these protected dunes will offer a fun and interesting mini desert experience.
- Palmitos Park: Interested in exploring some nature, you can also see the Palmitos Park, located in Maspalomas. It is a 20-hectare botanical garden, aviary, and zoo. Snowbirds can get to see the palm trees, cacti plants, dolphins, birds of prey, eagles, owls, reptiles, owl, gibbons, exotic birds, and an aquarium.
Activities in Playa del Inglés, Gran Canaria in the fall, winter, or spring
Enjoy your winter in Playa del Ingles with activities such as:
- Camello Safari Duna Oasis: Given Playa del Ingles' proximity to Maspalomas, snowbirds can enjoy a fun guided camel ride, especially as a group. For a small fee, you can experience these walks around the Maspalomas Dunes.
- A visit to Waterpark Aqualand: Tired of the beaches? You could visit the amazing Waterpark in nearby Maspalomas with friends and family to enjoy some cool slides and rides. Food is also available here.
- Sailing: Surrounded by the sea, snowbirds can go sailing across the calm waters. There are usually organized sailing activities available by businesses in the area. They don't cost much, but they are certainly worth the price.
- Food tasting: Snowbirds can indulge their taste buds in the great restaurants available. They serve meals all day. You can either go for a simple takeaway or a full course Spanish meal. There are many delicious local cuisines you can try like the canary potatoes with mojo sauce.
- Golfing: there are multiple golf courses scattered around Maspalomas. Snowbirds can indulge themselves in some mini-golfing, or play at the popular Maspalomas Golf Course.
Shopping + Restaurants. Are they open in the fall, winter, or spring?
The shopping scene in Playa del Ingles is very vibrant. Seeing as there are always tourists visiting, the shops usually stay open all year round. You will typically find most of your needs in these shops. There are some high-end stores with popular brands also. However, things might not be as cheap as you would expect.
There are also a wide variety of restaurants you can choose to dine at. Snowbirds can enjoy delicious meals, like seafood, local Spanish delicacies, and international favorites. Like the stores, restaurants are usually open throughout the year.
To get to Playa del Ingles, snowbirds will have to arrive 30 km (19 Miles) away at the Gran Canaria Airport. From there, if you haven't booked any transportation in advance, you could easily find a cab or bus to take you to your destination easily.
Buses are the cheapest way to move around Playa del Ingles and to also tour other cities. However, they are not very fast. Cabs are a little more expensive than buses, but they are more convenient and faster than buses.
There are no airports or rail services in Playa del Ingles. Given the size of the resort town and the island, you will not miss these.
There is a great quality health care service in Playa del Ingles. For medical consultation, there are various public and private doctors, dentists, and clinics in and around Playa del Ingles. For public health services, you will need your EHIC (European Health Insurance Card). Doctors and Dentists here speak Spanish, German, Italian and French. Some of the clinics and hospitals available are Clinica Roca in San Augustin, Hospitales San Roque in Maspalomas, Clinica Maya, and Centro de Salud in San Fernando.
Playa del Ingles has great quality accommodation, but they are usually expensive. There are luxury hotels, villas, and service apartments available all around the beach. These accommodations have all the basic and luxury amenities available. However, you might have a tough time finding cheap options. The lowest price you might find a two-bedroom apartment is $700 (approx. €677, £584, $949 CAD, $1043 AUD) every month. For more luxurious choices that could have special views could cost you $1200 (approx. €1160, £1002, $1626 CAD, $1788 AUD) monthly.
- Weather: The fall, winter, and spring weather in In Playa del Inglés (Gran Canaria) will normally be warm during the day, but can be chilly during the night. Of course in the fall and spring it will be warmer than in the winter. You have to pack accordingly.
Warm clothing: Even when you go to a warm location like In Playa del Inglés (Gran Canaria) you should not forget to take some things with you for your trip back home. When you return you are adapted to the warmer weather and need something to protect you from your hometown temperatures.
Consider the Weather: Always look at the type of weather in In Playa del Inglés (Gran Canaria). Things like humidity, wind, and rain do not show up in the temperature graph but can have a great impact on your wardrobe. There are several sites with long term forecasts and climate information. Is there often a short afternoon downpour like in the tropics, you maybe need to take a strong umbrella and shoos that can cope with the rain. If there is often a lot of wind you might need a more wind-resistant coat.
Check the local Shopping options: Try to find information about the local shopping options near your location in In Playa del Inglés (Gran Canaria). Are there stores where you can buy all your daily supplies, or are some things difficult to get? For some more remote locations, the options can be limited. If a certain item is really important for you might need to take it with you.
Look at the Local Culture: The local culture in In Playa del Inglés (Gran Canaria) can impact your wardrobe. If most activities are in more upscale locations you might take some more appropriate clothes with you. Or travelling if you travel to certain countries women need to cover themselves in certain areas.
Amenities: Know what’s Included in your house or apartment. Is there a coffee maker, a toaster, a washer and dryer, an iron, what is in the kitchen, what kind of towels are there? Things that are there means you do not have to take them with you. A furnished apartment or house can mean something from a few pieces of furniture to a well-stocked place with all the things you have at home. But most of the time your rental will not be stocked.
Mix and match: Wear layers so you can use your wardrobe more efficiently. And do not worry about wearing something more often, probably only you will notice this.
Important for you: If there is something that is really important for you that you want to have present in your house or apartment, take it with you. This can be something like a special knife for the kitchen, or a small mirror that you use in the morning. You can also purchase it locally if it is not that expensive.
Pet supplies: If you take your pet with you don’t forget to take supplies for a few days with you. And enough medication, vitamins, or other supplies if you can not purchase them in In Playa del Inglés (Gran Canaria) locally.
Food: Don’t take a lot of food with you. Only when there is something you really can not live without you, and it is not too heavy you could consider taking it with you.
Towels: Not all locations include bigger towels for the swimming pool or a visit to the beach. If you have to take them and don’t have a lot of room you can buy some big thin towels.
Office supplies: Normally you will not find any office supplies in your house or apartment. If you think you will use them you could pack some supplies like a scissor, notepaper, envelopes, some pens, and more depending on your needs.
Limit yourself: Don’t take too many shoes and jackets, you will not need them that often.
Best-fitting: Bring your favorite and best-fitting items that can multi-function
Washer: Do you have a washer and dryer onsite, you don’t need to pack a lot of clothes
Other locations close to this location:
If you see this after your page is loaded completely, leafletJS files are missing.
If you have any additions, or comments on the content on this page, please use our contact form to let us know.
Detailed weather during the year for Playa del Inglés Gran Canaria
- Weather in Playa del Inglés Gran Canaria for January
- Weather in Playa del Inglés Gran Canaria for February
- Weather in Playa del Inglés Gran Canaria for March
- Weather in Playa del Inglés Gran Canaria for April
- Weather in Playa del Inglés Gran Canaria for May
- Weather in Playa del Inglés Gran Canaria for June
- Weather in Playa del Inglés Gran Canaria for July
- Weather in Playa del Inglés Gran Canaria for August
- Weather in Playa del Inglés Gran Canaria for September
- Weather in Playa del Inglés Gran Canaria for October
- Weather in Playa del Inglés Gran Canaria for November
- Weather in Playa del Inglés Gran Canaria for December
What to do during the year in Playa del Inglés Gran Canaria
- What to do in January in Playa del Inglés Gran Canaria
- What to do in February in Playa del Inglés Gran Canaria
- What to do in March in Playa del Inglés Gran Canaria
- What to do in April in Playa del Inglés Gran Canaria
- What to do in May in Playa del Inglés Gran Canaria
- What to do in June in Playa del Inglés Gran Canaria
- What to do in July in Playa del Inglés Gran Canaria
- What to do in August in Playa del Inglés Gran Canaria
- What to do in September in Playa del Inglés Gran Canaria
- What to do in October in Playa del Inglés Gran Canaria
- What to do in November in Playa del Inglés Gran Canaria
- What to do in December in Playa del Inglés Gran Canaria