Carboneras is located in the province of Almerìa at the Mediterranean Sea and hosts a lot of permanent residents. It is a coastal area so it is most famous for its long beaches and serene surroundings. There are a lot of shops and restaurants situated by the beach giving a relaxing environment. It is a popular destination for visitors who want to relax and spend quality time in winter.
Carboneras translates to Coal bunkers. All of Carboneras’s forest was chopped down and then used for coal. The town is dry and bare but it contrasts incredibly with the blue of the Mediterranean Sea. In 1489 it was captured by the Catholic Monarchs, they build most of its glamorous fortress and palaces. In the 1960’s it became popular in film making because of its aesthetic, Moroccan outlook. The town also deals with the salting of fish and the refining of chemicals and metals.
Why should people stay in Carboneras during the winter?
Carboneras is a good choice to spend time in winters because of the mild temperatures mostly dry weather. The temperature rarely goes below 7°C (45°F). The place is quiet and calm in winter as there are not a lot of activities going around at that time, but due to the permanent residents, there are a lot of shops and restaurants open. There are a lot of historical places to visit and is ideal for people who enjoy spending their holidays peacefully.
Carboneras has a Mediterranean climate, with mild and dry winter. There is not a lot of rain in winter and a lot of sunny days. The nights can get a little chilly, so make sure that you have some heating in your house or apartment.
For more climate information visit Meteoblue
Things to see in Carboneras
Carboneras has a lot of places that are worth visiting:
- Playa de Los Muertos: enshrouded below a cliff, there is a hidden beach which is a natural beauty. This beach is only accessible by foot, but it’s worth it when you reach the destination.
- Molino de Carboneras: A prodigious windmill that is the most prominent feature when you are driving towards the town. This windmill is a museum that provides a history of traditional grinding and other traditional activities.
- The Fishing Port: It was built in 1991. You can find fishing boats and other recreational activities there.
- Playa El Corral: This beach has clear water and in winter a quiet and serene surrounding.
- Meas Roldan: It is a flat top extinct volcano. Stunning view. There is an old stone tower on top of it. Has a rich history from Moorish times.
- Parque Andaluz: If you want a casual stroll to witness all the beauties of nature then this park is the perfect place for your strolls.
Things to see not far from Carboneras
There are several things you can do from Carboneras. Here is a small selection of places you can visit:
- Playa el Playazo de Rodalquilar: A beautiful beach 34 km (21 Miles) from Carboneras.
- Mesa Roldán Lighthouse: A nice day trip to the light house located in Cabo de Gata-Nijar
- Caserio San Pedro: It is a beautiful hilly place to visit and enjoy the calm greenery near Carboneras.
- Boat Trips: There are several boat trips that you can make from Carboneras Harbor
- Shopping: Almeria is a great place nearby where you can go for shopping.
- Las Negras: Another beautiful coastal town near Carbonera, a good location for a day trip.
Activities in Carboneras in the winter
Due to the permanent residents Carboneras is a lively town with enough activities. Some examples:
- Bibliotecà Pùblica Municipal: It is a public library situated near the coast.
- Yoga classes
- Carnaval in Carboneras: Experience the Carnival with fancy dress costumes and dancing in the streets in the old town (February/March) and parade.
- Easter: There is a full-fledged Easter festival that includes local gastronomy, auctions, and music, etc.
- Cycling: If you like cycling and don’t mind some hills Carboneras is a good location. You can rent bikes at several locations.
- Boats Trips and Excursions: If the weather is nice take a boat trip and excursion from Carboneras harbor
- Golf: If you like playing golf there is a golf course in Carboneras, Playa Macenas Beach and Golf Resort and one not far from Carboneras like the Club Marina Golf Mojacar and
- Fitness: If you like to keep fit you can find gyms and group training in English.
- Book a bus trip (http://www.bus-2.com/) to places like:
- Las Marinicas
- Castillo de San Andrès
- Mesa Roldán
- Lighthouse El Playazo
Shopping + Restaurants. Are they open in the winter?
There are not a huge amount of shops and restaurants in Carboneras, but due to the permanent residents, a lot of them are open. Enough shopping options for day to day shopping. Almeria is 50 mins by car if you need more and bigger shops.
Some shops and restaurants focusing mainly on tourists can be closed and sometimes open for the weekend.
You can find different types of restaurants, both budget and more up class, including:
- Ajo y Guindilla: A steak house
- Asador Restaurante La Quesería: Grill
- Akaba Tapas y Vino: Tapas bar
- Alborán: Modern cuisine and tapas
- Café bar la Marina: Sea food
- El Santero Cafeteria: Cake shop
- Churrerìa Rocìo: Churrela
- Pasteleria Santero
There are two sea food markets located near the coast, Pescadores De Carboneras S C A and Asociación Productores de Pesca de Carboneras. There are multiple grocery stores and supermarkets:
- Maxi Dia
- Komo Komo El Cacho
- Carrefour Expres CEPSA
- Supermercados Consum
The nearest airport to Carboneras is in Almeria. It is not a busy airport in winter, so check what the available options are. You can take a bus to Almeria from the airport, there you can take the bus towards Carboneras. On weekends there is just one bus that goes to Carbonera from Almeria, on weekdays there are 4 buses daily.
You can find more information about the local bus and routes here: https://getbybus.com/en/bus-from-carboneras
Carboneras has a medical center:Centro de Salud Carboneras https://www.sspa.juntadeandalucia.es/servicioandaluzdesalud/el-sas/
In Almeria (about 50 min by car) you can find a private hospital, HLA Mediterranean Hospital. This hospital has a website in both Spanish and English: https://www.grupohla.com/es/hospitales-clinicas/hospital-mediterraneo
There are also several dental clinics in the region with a good history of satisfied customers. Some clinics are:
- Clinica Indalo Dental
- Clínica Odontología Avanzada CARBONERAS (http://coadental.es/)
- There are enough apartment options and rentals in Carboneras for a winter stay.
- If you want a moderate accommodation, in the center of town 66m2 area, you can expect the rent to be starting from €480 (approx. $567, £438, $748 CAD, $779 AUD).
- For apartments with a private pool, big living area, and near the beach you can get the place for rentals starting from €800 (approx. $946, £730, $1248 CAD, $1299 AUD).
- A whole house or villa near the beach, with a heated pool and Jacuzzi, can be rented from €1000 (approx. $1183, £913, $1560 CAD, $1624 AUD).
Carboneras has multiple camping’s that are open in the winters. Both for campers, caravans, and tents. Most of them have special winter offers. As some periods in the winter can be quite busy it is advisable to make a reservation.
- Camping sopalmo: Tranquil place. All places with electricity, running water, and wastewater disposal. 30 plots. https://www.campingsopalmo.com/
- Camping Los Gallardos: 125 parking pitches https://campinglosgallardos.com
- Camping El Quinto: 300 meter (984 feet) from the village, 2km from the beach; Price for a longer period from €24 (approx. $28, £21, $37 CAD, $38 AUD); https://www.camping.info/
If you have a Camper or Motorhome you can find several locations in Carboneras.
- Camper Park El Rancho: 2 km (1.2 Miles) from the town; 88 places, plot around 2.5 km (1.6 Miles) all with own electricity, water and drain; from around €10 (approx. $11, £9, $15 CAD, $16 AUD) for a night; https://www.campercontact.com
- Camper Park El Rancho: 2 km (1.2 Miles) from the sea; vacant space, all the facilities are available including electricity, wifi, washing machine etc. Starts from €8 (approx. $9, £7, $12 CAD, $12 AUD) per day.
- Camper Park Carboneras: This camper park has a pool. Starts at €14 (approx. $16, £12, $21 CAD, $22 AUD) a day. All facilities are available, pets are also allowed. It is near the coast and is a rural location.