Torrevieja is a city in Spain's southeastern province of Alicante, on the Costa Blanca. It’s well known for its Mediterranean climate and coastline. Its located approximately 40 minutes south of Alicante airport. This city has amazing gardens and tremendous beaches and pools with delicate sand and crystal clear waters.
Torrevieja´s origins, like many of today's coastal resorts, are heavily linked with fishing and the Mediterranean trade routes. This city served as a safe haven for passing fishermen and sailors to protect themselves from storms. Some of these sheltering seamen decided to stay and make this area their new home, the town of Torrevieja. Many of these new inhabitants were from what is now the West coast of Italy, which is still evident today from the number of Italian surnames in the Torrevieja area.
Torrevieja has been a key producer of salt for many generations. The name Torrevieja (literal meaning Old Tower) comes from the Old Watch Tower that was located in the salt beds near the salt pier and used to keep an eye over this valuable mineral before it set off on its long journey overseas. Whilst salt extraction is still big business in the area, today, 2 of these unique lagoons are now the heart of the La Mata and Torrevieja Lagoons Nature Reserve. Together, these 2 protected reserves cover a total of 3,700 Hectares, 52% of the reserve, and are home to a large variety of animal and plant species making them a key tourist attraction in the area.
Why should people stay in Torrevieja during the winter?
Torrevieja is a good choice if you are looking for a lively place, not far from Alicante that has enough open restaurants and shops. The Mediterranean climate means a mild winter with not a lot of rain and average temperatures from 16°C - 24°C (61°F - 75°F)16 to 24. Most days will be sunny or partly cloudy, and there only will be a few days with some rain. For the winter period, you can find good deals for apartments and houses, and if you are camping, there are multiple options as well.
Torrevieja has typical Mediterranean weather with a relatively mild summer and mild winter. The winter sees a lot of sunshine and the days can be really nice with temperatures that can exceed 20°C (68°F).
For more climate information visit Meteoblue
Things to see in Torrevieja
- Lo Pagan mud baths: Take some mud from under the piers, spread it on all over. When it is dry go down to the very salty water and wash it off. Supposedly good for muscle, skin, aches, and pains. It can be cold in the winter.
- A day at the Spa. If it is too cold for the mud bath, or just to relax, you can visit a spa. Check the Thalasia Spa: https://www.thalasia.com/en-GB/planes-balneario.aspx
- Golf: 20km from Torrevieja, La Finca Golf and Spa Resort is a good place for a round of golf.
- Salt lakes Torrevieja: There are two colorful salt lakes that are part of the Las Salinas de Torrevieja nature reserver. One lake is bubblegum pink and the other is green-tinted. It is possible to swim in the salt lake.
- Open Air Markets: Every Friday there is one of the largest open-air markets in which all kinds of foods, groceries, clothes, textiles, and accessories are sold. Street markets can be easily found in different areas of the town on every day of the week. La Florida has a small market on Saturday every week.
- Torrevieja Floating Museum: Visit the 2 drifting historical ‘museums’. One is housed inside the Submarine S61 Delfin (Dolphin) and the other in a former Customs Surveillance ship.
- Museum of Sea salt: Lean about the salt and how it was mined around Torrevieja.
- Famous Beaches. The winter is the perfect time to enjoy the beaches around Torrevieja. Now they are free of the many tourists that are there during the summer.
- Punta Prima Beach: It’s worth visiting beach close to the famous Nautilus Restaurant. It also has good access for disabled people through a lift. Also, a good place to start your coastal walk.
- Las Salinas de Torrevieja: True Spanish countryside beside a beautiful pink lake.
If it is not too cold you can go into the lake and float as if you were in the Dead Sea. Wear something on your feet and it gets a bit squishy between your toes, and Fresh Water for drinking and to wash the mud and salt off afterward.
- Playa De Cura: Beautiful stretch of seafront right in the middle of Torrevieja.
Lined with bars and restaurants, everything from 'traditional Irish bars to ice-cream parlors, you will always find somewhere to sit outside and take in the stunning views and for people watching. A lovely walk right along the boardwalk.
- La Mata Beach: La Mata beach has something for everyone young or old a great place to lounge or walks and access for all is good. Plenty of bars and restaurants a great promenade.
- Dique deLevante Breakwater
- Iglesia de la inmaculada Conception
- Sociedad Cultural Casino de Torrevieja
- Plaza waldo calero
Things to see not far from Torrevieja
- Visit some of the beaches between Torrevieja and Alicante
- Torre del Moro: It is located in Cabo Cervera, one of the highest points of Torrevieja.
- Calas: One of the best known is the Cala Ferrís, located to the south of the town center and surrounded by numerous palm trees.
- Daytrip to Alicante
- Daytrip to Murcia
- Daytrip to Cartagena
Activities in Torrevieja in the winter
Visitors can fill up their days by doing a variety of activities around the city and nearby countryside. Some of them are:
- Visit the Natural Park of Las Lagunas de la Mata and Torrevieja: There are several walking routes in the park. From short to long. http://alicantetoday.com/natural-park-of-las-lagunas-de-la-mata-_torrevieja_20163-a.html
- Discover the museums of Torrevieja: Torrevieja has numerous museums, for example, Vista Alegre and Los Aljibes, Museum of the Sea and Salt, the Habaneras Museum or La Imprenta.
- The afternoon shows: In the Auditorium of Torrevieja you can enjoy a wide range of shows, throughout the entire year, from enchantment presentations to musicals, drama and the symphonic symphony.
- Chrismas: One of the magical periods in Spain. Most shops in the center will be full of lights.
- Celebrations on the Coming of the Three Kings: The sixth of January is an extraordinary day in Spain, as families all through the nation observe 'La Fiesta De Los Reyes', the day when the three rulers were said to show up at Bethlehem. Marches will be held all through the Costa Brava on the night of the fifth of January, and Torrevieja will, obviously, be standing its ground.
Shopping + Restaurants. Are they open in the winter?
Not all the shops and restaurants in Torrevieja will be open in the winter. But due to the number of winter visitors there is a good selection that is open. Many of the tourist shops will be closed.
- Habanera shopping center: With ample underground parking this is a very nice open-air Shopping Centre, with a great variety of shops, the top floor has various eateries It’s situated next door to a huge Hypermarket, worth a visit. It's open throughout the year.
- Punta Prima is about 4 km (2 Miles) from Torrevieja. There are a lot of places to eat to choose from and practically nothing shuts at any time of the year.
- The busy Friday street market in Torrevieja is one of the biggest in the region. In the winter it will be smaller, but still have more than enough stalls.
- Dining: Torrevieja serves the best food variety from fast food to sea food, from budget to more expensive choices. Traditional Spanish, German, English, and Italian food are widely popular. ‘Barlovento’ is a traditional fish restaurant; the most interesting part of this restaurant is that you can select your seafood from the aquarium inside the restaurant.
If you visit Torrevieja by car you can access the town easily by using the AP7 Toll road, which runs from Alicante to Cartagena. In Torrevieja parking is mostly free, and finding a spot in the winter season is easy.
The nearest airport is in Alicante, a 40 min drive. There is an express bus from the airport to Torrevieja. There is a bus (Costa Azul bus) from Alicante airport to Torrevieja that takes about 1 hour and runs every two hours from 08:00 am to 10:00 pm.
Or you can use Murcia International airport that is about 50 min away. But in general, Alicante has a better choice of flights.
The Torrevieja bus station is located at Calle del Mar, 40. Is serves both the local city buses as express busses to Alicante, Cartagena, and Murcia. See https://torrevieja.com/horario-de-autobuses/
Torrevieja does not have a train station.
Due to the many international visitors, Torrevieja has many places with English speaking doctors, dentists, and pharmacies. Also at the hospital, you will find enough English speaking staff.
Torrevieja has its own hospital: Hospital Quirón Torrevieja, Partida de la Loma, s/n. It is Open 24 hours and has English speaking staff.
- Torrevieja has a large selection of apartments and rentals for longer periods.
- You can expect prices for apartments from €400 (approx. $465, £365, $622 CAD, $661 AUD) per month for a small apartment.
- Prices for a whole house will start from around €700 (approx. $814, £639, $1089 CAD, $1158 AUD). For a large villa with a pool and not too far from Torrevieja expect prices starting at €1000 (approx. $1163, £913, $1556 CAD, $1654 AUD).
Torrevieja has several camping’s that are open in the Winter. Both for campers, caravan’s and tents. Most of them have special winter offers. As some periods in the winter can be quite busy it is advisable to make a reservation.
- Camping Florantilles: just over 5 km (3 Miles) from the beach. More than 200 places with electricity, water and Wifi. Price from €9 (approx. $10, £8, $14 CAD, $14 AUD) for 29 days or more. http://www.campingflorantilles.com/
- Camping Palm Mar: 10 min from the beach; http://www.lamerced.eu/
- Camping Estrella Polar: 300 meter from the beach; 50 places; Price for a long stay (from 60 nights) from €10 (approx. $11, £9, $15 CAD, $16 AUD); https://www.campingestrellapolar.com/
If you have a Camper or Motorhome you can find several locations near Torrevieja.
- Camper park San Fulgencio, Place 5.5 amp electricity, water connection, hot showers, WI-FI, toilets, sinks, barbecue, tank emptying; Long stay (more than 60 days) from €10 (approx. $11, £9, $15 CAD, $16 AUD); https://www.camperparksanfulgencio.com/
- Camper-area CP: Nice garden, Plots with water, electricity and drain, Free wifi, From €380 (approx. $442, £347, $591 CAD, $628 AUD) per month; http://www.escuera.com/